Back to Actual Training

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Back to Actual Training

Postby Doc E » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Our hunting seasons ended last weekend (Jan 28), so now we are back to doing some "real" dog training. For the 5 months of our hunting seasons, we only did minimal "tune up training" here at the house.
Went out to a training area yesterday and set up "Master Level" (HRC Finished) training scenarios (triple marks and two blinds). We were amazed at how good the dogs were. The young dog was slightly sloppy on the blinds, but not bad and of course the old dog (age 9) was still sharp as a tack.
Although it wasn't real hunting now, the dogs had a ball..
They love to train.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Back to Actual Training

Postby LongHammer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:36 pm

I don't test but it seems after a hunting season the dogs would all be razor sharp. Only the monotony of training takes the edge off. For my style the training occurs out hunting. The off season is all reminding him what the birds taught him and trying not to screw it up :D Those dang blinds with a vdog! Getting Otto to take a dead straight line like a lab is like shooting pool with a rope. He gets there but always with a power draw or fade if your a golfer.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 am

LongHammer wrote:I don't test but it seems after a hunting season the dogs would all be razor sharp. .

Testing isn't hunting. Never in real hunting do you make 150 yard kill shots. Seldom do you have 150 yard blind retrieves. There are other differences too.
Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am

Getting Otto to take a dead straight line like a lab is like shooting pool with a rope
. I do understand that statement . I have always had Labs in the past and it was always a line with a little downwind added . Pretty work , But I do like to watch my PP [ Dutchess ] work a bird . Straight out on the line until she gets close then circles until she hits the scent . I love watching her work it out . She has never lost a bird
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

Doc E wrote:
LongHammer wrote:I don't test but it seems after a hunting season the dogs would all be razor sharp. .

Testing isn't hunting. Never in real hunting do you make 150 yard kill shots. Seldom do you have 150 yard blind retrieves. There are other differences too.

Maybe bird wise but Otto sees more than a few 150+ kills on yotes and I expect the same results. As I have said before cripples are far more exciting predator hunting.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm

LongHammer wrote:I don't test but it seems after a hunting season the dogs would all be razor sharp. Only the monotony of training takes the edge off. For my style the training occurs out hunting. The off season is all reminding him what the birds taught him and trying not to screw it up :D Those dang blinds with a vdog! Getting Otto to take a dead straight line like a lab is like shooting pool with a rope. He gets there but always with a power draw or fade if your a golfer.

Yes, the true versatile dog learns and sharpens with hunting.

Last season waterfowl was decent, and her duck searches turned up two crips from other parties in the impoundments... 25 minute searches and hour or two after the shots.

Today after being shackeled to a new job, i finally made it to a preserve and the pup did not disappoint great search, excellent manners, and rock solid pointing.

Bear in mind this isn't a broke dog... no FF, no check cord, notta...

The well bred versatile dog needs only birds to become a bird dog.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 am

I can't even spell FF or CC. 98% of the time no ecollar. I trust my dog he is the hunter. the only reason I'm his partner is because I drive the truck and buy the breakfast sammiches. Otherwise he could do better.. :D
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

3drahthaars wrote:Yes, the true versatile dog learns and sharpens with hunting.

3ds

Don't all good hunting dogs --- versatile or not ?
Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 am

Doc E wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:Yes, the true versatile dog learns and sharpens with hunting.

3ds

Don't all good hunting dogs --- versatile or not ?

Indeed! I have said it before hunting makes hunting dogs. Training makes hunting dog starter kits.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 am

IMO, Upland dogs learn an immense amount from being out hunting (exploring as a pup).
Waterfowl dogs learn from their human trainer.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Doc E wrote:IMO, Upland dogs learn an immense amount from being out hunting (exploring as a pup).

Or, they train their human, to throw another $2 shell out where the duck is :D

I'm going to train for the UT test, then move on to some retriever type training...Hunting moving water this year illustrated holes in the "duck search" mentality when the dog expands the search in the wrong direction if the tide is sucking the duck elsewhere. More blind retrieve work is needed for us. I didn't lose but one duck all year, but I also had to "lead" the dead/crippled duck when sending him on his retrieve basically by timing and positioning us so he would see it about when it drifted out of the decoys...

The other option would be to make sure he can mostly see out and not hunt from a stake blind where every retrieve is blind.

I was very happy with his search/recovery in areas where the current wasn't cooking, or if he had a mark.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 pm

JONOV wrote:
Doc E wrote:IMO, Upland dogs learn an immense amount from being out hunting (exploring as a pup).

Or, they train their human, to throw another $2 shell out where the duck is :D

I'm going to train for the UT test, then move on to some retriever type training...Hunting moving water this year illustrated holes in the "duck search" mentality when the dog expands the search in the wrong direction if the tide is sucking the duck elsewhere. More blind retrieve work is needed for us. I didn't lose but one duck all year, but I also had to "lead" the dead/crippled duck when sending him on his retrieve basically by timing and positioning us so he would see it about when it drifted out of the decoys...

The other option would be to make sure he can mostly see out and not hunt from a stake blind where every retrieve is blind.

I was very happy with his search/recovery in areas where the current wasn't cooking, or if he had a mark.

I hunt moving water most of the time. I expect Otto to move to the gun and get the mark. Not to break after the bird but when the shotguns go up and start popping he needs to see the birds drop. He goes for the fast moving drifters or cripples first and if multiple birds drop in fast water Ill walk out to cut down his swim time. In moving water you don't always have time so in the right shell holder on my waders bottom loop is a Rio 3" #2. Cut those marking rounds to 65 cents!
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Doc, My apologies for not letting you know I was back. Sorry to worry you!

Can you explain the following? "Never in real hunting do you make 150 yard kill shots. Seldom do you have 150 yard blind retrieves."
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 pm

When you walk out of an impoundment and come upon a party of hunters looking around a patch of feathers on the water for the duck, cut your dog loose, see it hit the puff of feathers, gradually circle wider and wider then straighten out towards where one of the party says "... that's the direction I think I saw the duck go...".

Then, a half-hour later when she returns with the duck and you hear the ooohs and aaahs you then realize/appreciate that great waterfowl dogs benefits from hunting, exploring, and opportunities.

You can call it training... but, I didn't train her... I picked the breeding and trusted it would produce if she was given the exposure...

We don't spend the off season training for much more than steadiness... and, we pick up next season just where we left off.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Doc, My apologies for not letting you know I was back. Sorry to worry you!

Can you explain the following? "Never in real hunting do you make 150 yard kill shots. Seldom do you have 150 yard blind retrieves."

What's to explain ?. It is what it says. I have never shot anything with feathers at 150 yards.
Unless you have a "sailer", you don't have very many 'blinds' over 150 yards.
Do you have a specific question ?
Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training