Professional Trainers

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Professional Trainers

Postby Chefben4 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Newbie here..and first post!! Woohoo!! My 6 month old Griff Nellie is currently with a professional trainer. I did my homework WAY before I even got the dog which was great. Im relatively young (32) and have been hunting my whole life. I certainly haven't been training dogs my whole life so I am relying on them to help teach my dog AND teach me. So far so good. I also read quite a few books as I was preparing for the dog. Standard puppy books and two hunting (Gun Dog and Joan Bailey's How to Help a Gun Dog Train Themselves). Cheers!
Chefben4
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Do your homework, make sure there is an understanding of what the goals are, ask a million questions.

I sent my dog off for a month. He got past some things I struggled with, but obviously you won't finish a dog in a month.

If a trainer's solution for a square peg in a round hole is a bigger hammer, move on.

If a trainer tells you, "i don't know what I'll have to fix that you already screwed up" when you haven't screwed anything up, move on. I had a few trainers tell me that they would "have to undo what you've done." What a crock. I'd obedience trained my dog (recall, sit, lay down, stop, wait,) and little else.

OP, I think its hard for many of us to recommend a pro without understanding your goals for the dog.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Chefben; Why such a young dog with a professional. You've been drinking somebody's tainted Koolaid.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:57 pm

orhunter wrote:Chefben; Why such a young dog with a professional. You've been drinking somebody's tainted Koolaid.

A lot of trainers run puppy development classes. When you don't have access to land and birds, they are a valuable tool.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chefben4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
orhunter wrote:Chefben; Why such a young dog with a professional. You've been drinking somebody's tainted Koolaid.

A lot of trainers run puppy development classes. When you don't have access to land and birds, they are a valuable tool.

This exactly. While I had gun dogs growing up (Brittany Spaniels), they were always couch dogs. This is my first real gun dog, and first dog on my own. I unfortunately dont have access to birds readily. And in the Winter my local NAVHDA isn't active at all. I felt it was best for her and I. I will get to spend a fair amount of time with her and trainer so I can be trained as well. And of course..it also helps that I scheduled her training so she will be away when Im in Florida fly fishing. Its one way to pay for a "sitter" and get some learning out of it.

I just joined this site. So im trying to learn some things. So much conflicting information, but im weeding through. Also have read a WHOLE bunch of the usual gun dog books.

She will definitely be going back, probably around a year old.
Chefben4
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Training