Professional Trainers

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Professional Trainers

Postby ejm4 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Has anyone sent their pup to a professional trainer? If so, were you satisfied with the results?
ejm4
Started
Started

Re: Professional Trainers

Postby hicntry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Customers have sent 6 or 7 of my dogs to Graham Sharp and they have all been happy.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 pm

If you get the right trainer it's worth every penny. But that's the key, get the right trainer for your dog. Do your due diligence.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Athomas16 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 pm

I sent my 5 month old Griff to Perfection Kennels for the 30 day puppy clinic and it was money very well spent. I wanted to make sure her introduction to gunfire and the ecollar was done correctly. Also, I wanted experienced eyes to help identify where my pup was likely to have problems in the future.

She is now 7 months old and points birds very well and retrieves to hand decently. I hunt her with a check cord because she breaks point when the bird flushes. We have 6 weeks left in this season and I will work on steadiness after the season when she is a bit older.

I think hiring them to do her introduction actually got an extra season out of my puppy (this one) and gave her a rock solid foundation going forward. I have no idea how Perfection Kennels is regarded in the overall birddog community, but I know their DVD's are recommended fairly often. My experience with them has been great.
Athomas16
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 am

Just a word on behalf of the pros. If you go with your dog you will get so much more out of the experience. The pro is not just training your dog, they are training a "team" and the guy on the end of the leash is 50% of the team. Handling a dog is not like driving a car, they are not all the same.

You will get more out of the experience than the dog, and it will last a lifetime.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am

CHOOSE YOU PRO CAREFULLY! If you do that, you'll probably cut a year or more off your training time and more importantly, LEARN THE CORRECT WAY TO TRAIN A DOG! There's a lot of wanna-be-pro's out there so choose carefully.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Please share some suggestions of quality pros. If it matters, I am located in PA.
ejm4
Started
Started

Postby Athomas16 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:48 pm

I am new to the birddog game, so I can't help you beyond the trainer I mentioned above. I will reiterate what the other poster said, try to participate with your dog. In fact, when talking to trainers, maybe only choose one who requires your involvement. Probably a decent screen.
Athomas16
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm

For better or worse, I train my own dogs. But I have bought 1:1 consult time with several pro trainers over the decades and it was always money well spent.

Jon Hann at Perfection Kennel is the best I have been around. A truly gifted dog man. Very compassionate for dogs and helps each one be the best it can be. I use his DVDs, and my Pup and I attended a 4 day clinic in March 2017 that was a wonderful experience in every aspect. Just signed up for a Broke Dog clinic with Jon and Jessica in March. Need to do some Backing work. They have several Start/Finish 4 day clinics coming up in Feb/March.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Gonehuntin is correct, choose wisely. Get the most trusted references you can if at all possibly go watch them train before you give them your best friend.

I know some pros that are abusive, dont know how they stay in business but they do. One years ago a pro charged a guy to train his dog, problem was the pro was off field trailing . the dog was at the kennel counting butterflies.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby PL_Guy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 pm

I never sent a dog to a pro, but I did visit and train with a couple: Bill Gibbons near Phoenix who has since retired I believe, and Mo Lindley in Piedmont SC who is still active and quite busy. I have recommended Mo's services more than once.

Jere
"Speak your truth quietly & clearly; ... Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
So much to learn, So little time!
PL_Guy
Master Poster
Master Poster

Location: When at home: Seldovia, Alaska; otherwise: almost anywhere

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 am

Not to be mean, but handlers need more training than the dogs. Join a club if you can. They often hire a pro to come and give lessons as others have said they are well worth the money.

If you have a good dog, they are very smart and trust you. If you can train the dog with some professional help it will go better, faster and stay with the dog longer.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:03 am

Does anyone have any experience with Huntsmith?
http://www.huntsmith.com/index.php

Ronnie will be coming close to where we live in the spring and is offering a two day clinic.
ejm4
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am

Rick Smith, I have experience. My wife registered both of us for one of his seminars in Alberta. I've been holding a leash for over 50 years but I went anyway. On the way into the field, he had a long chain staked out with dogs on the chain and a German Shepard on the end tried to bite me and attack my PP. The owner of the Shepard was a young woman who had zero control of her dog. I didn't think that I'd get anything out of this seminar.

Rick hooked the Shepard up to the whoa post and the dog fought against the rope but Rick just kept standing the dog back up and leaned into him. He never spoke to or touched the dog. When the dog submitted he lifted the dog up to loosen the leash unhooked him and walked him on the lead in a figure 8. He then handed the leash to the owner and the dog heeled beside her wagging his tail!

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. "The dog needs to know its position in the pecking order to be happy. It is at the bottom and whom ever is holding the leash is at the top" Rick Smith.

I can recommend him without reservation.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 am

Rick Smith is one of the nicest and most approachable people you will ever meet.
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Training