FF question

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: FF question

Postby gundog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm

PL_Guy wrote:look up "avoidance response" and "escape response" to fully understand the fine points of FF (and some other force trained stuff). Jere

Thanks, will do. Although I fully understand the FF concept and buy into the model and am very pleased with the results.
gundog
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 am

Re: FF question

Postby gundog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm

PL_Guy wrote:look up "avoidance response" and "escape response" to fully understand the fine points of FF (and some other force trained stuff). Jere

Thanks, will do. Although I fully understand the FF concept and buy into the model and am very pleased with the results.
gundog
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 am

Re: FF question

Postby Higgins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello gundog,

I don't think you need to put your dog through force fetch to encourage a nice retrieve. Encouraging a natural retrieve is easier and faster and you don't lose your dog's trust. Here are a couple of links to videos. They show some of the things I do to help the young pups learn to share their birds. When you watch the videos, be sure to read the text too.

https://youtu.be/_El738eNjl8
https://youtu.be/wIhuFnts9Uw

Hope it helps.
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: FF question

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Brad, I would most strongly disagree with parts of your statement. First, FF is FAR faster than encouraging the natural retrieve and far more reliable. Second, it builds a bond with your dog that's stronger than any you will forge with other training methods. Third, and most importantly, it sets the stage for how the dog will learn for the rest of it's life.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: FF question

Postby gundog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Higgins wrote:Hello gundog,

I don't think you need to put your dog through force fetch to encourage a nice retrieve. Encouraging a natural retrieve is easier and faster and you don't lose your dog's trust. Here are a couple of links to videos. They show some of the things I do to help the young pups learn to share their birds. When you watch the videos, be sure to read the text too.

https://youtu.be/_El738eNjl8
https://youtu.be/wIhuFnts9Uw

Hope it helps.


Thanks Brad,I didnt have a chance to watch the videos. My dog had a halfa$$ natural retrieve to begin with, so I cleaned it up. I am VERY pleased with the results from the FF program, and have not experienced any loss of style or trust issues. To each their own.
gundog
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 am

Re: FF question

Postby Higgins » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am

gundog wrote:
Thanks Brad,I didnt have a chance to watch the videos. My dog had a halfa$$ natural retrieve to begin with, so I cleaned it up. I am VERY pleased with the results from the FF program, and have not experienced any loss of style or trust issues. To each their own.


Hello gundog,

I agree, to each their own. If you would, take a minute and watch the videos. I'd like to get your take on them. Might make for an interesting discussion.

https://youtu.be/wIhuFnts9Uw
https://youtu.be/_El738eNjl8


Thanks,

Higgins
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: FF question

Postby Calvinator » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I found the SmartFetch DVDs difficult to watch.
User avatar
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: FF question

Postby Doc E » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 am

Kiger2 wrote:Dakota Zeb,

On Jan. 26. Kiger said "

You can PM me for help or do it here. Ill be chukar hunting next week so out of touch a bit. Ill check in the next couple of days to see if you have questions.


Gosh ! I sure hope he didn't fall off of a cliff or something :lol: :lol:
.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
User avatar
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:19 am
Location: N.E. WA state

Re: FF question

Postby Dakotazeb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Doc E wrote:
Gosh ! I sure hope he didn't fall off of a cliff or something :lol: :lol:
.


He's back. I had a PM from him on Monday.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
User avatar
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: FF question

Postby mastercaster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Calvinator wrote:I found the SmartFetch DVDs difficult to watch.



Would you care to elaborate?
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: FF question

Postby Meridiandave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am

mastercaster wrote:
Calvinator wrote:I found the SmartFetch DVDs difficult to watch.



Would you care to elaborate?


I have watched them and they are corny, terrible music and a lot bit boring. However, I think the information provided is very usefull.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

Re: FF question

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 am

Shows the difference in people. I have always thought Graham's video was the most interesting and well done ever made. Just my view though.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: FF question

Postby Meridiandave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 pm

If it helps you. I use and advocate the graham method and two of the three ff mentors used it...One made fun of it's production quality, but I used his copy.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

Re: FF question

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Higgins,
Lose the dogs trust???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You real have no idea what FF is.
You somehow try to equate "natural" with better. It AINT. Its not faster, its not more relaible it does not promote a better relationship.

To answer question. about 15 seconds.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Re: FF question

Postby Doc E » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

Kiger2 wrote:Higgins,
Lose the dogs trust???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You real have no idea what FF is.
You somehow try to equate "natural" with better. It AINT. Its not faster, its not more relaible it does not promote a better relationship.

To answer question. about 15 seconds.


Is there some particular reason that you have to be such a jerk with your posts ?
.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1450 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
User avatar
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:19 am
Location: N.E. WA state

PreviousNext

Return to Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests