TRAINING TIMELINE

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: TRAINING TIMELINE

Postby Densa44 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am

If you start to train your dog at 6 months by 9 months you can't tell the difference from one who was started as a puppy. Listen to Gonhuntin, more are ruined by starting too soon.

10 weeks is too long to wait to pick up a pup, when the rest of the litter goes so should your dog.

In the olden days, after they were weaned and immunized was when pups went to the new owner. James Free said 49 days.

For a new pup, try to bond with the animal and encourage a strong recall. Take him for lots of walks, it will do you both good.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with picking a pup up at 10 even 12 weeks. There's even evidence to suggest keeping litters together to 12 weeks has benefits over 8 weeks.

Rather than worry about not wasting time and wanting to training your pup, work on bonding with it by having fun together. Lots of hikes and fun runs in the field, take pup on trips with you to the store, etc. Get it used to riding in its crate in your vehicle. Exposure over formal training at this stage, including on birds. Who cares if your pup runs off with the bird? Not a big deal, just don't chase after it. Dog's having fun and proud of what it found, eventually it will either drop it or bring it to you. If pup drops it to investigate something else, pick it up. If pup eventually brings it over, take it gently. Just don't chase it, be patient and praise pup. Don't even worry if pup starts pulling feathers out as long as it isn't eating the actual bird or burying it, no worries. It's pup's first bird, let it have it for a while. My new female pup carried her first couple birds all around the field for good long while. She's 6 months old now and besides learning her name and Come (and trying to teach her No, lol), all we do is exposure and lots of it. The only reason she runs,with a check cord on is so I can catch her if I need to. I don't use it at all to control her interactions with birds.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 pm

Older puppies. Just a point in this technological world we live in, if the pup has to fly to get to his new home, there are both age and weight restrictions.
The age has to be 8 weeks and the weight 15 lbs or less. The pup is in a kennel under the seat in front of the new owner.

The airlines are tough to deal with where I live on the prairies and I don't think that they really want to fly puppies, even if they are accompanied.

My pups are over 15 lbs. by 8 weeks, so far no problems, but who knows. If you go to a larger (older pup) you will have to have him shipped cargo, or pick him up.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training