TRAINING TIMELINE

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

TRAINING TIMELINE

Postby SERE Nate » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:40 pm

What timeline or structure do you go by when you begin training a new pup? I have read How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey and see that there is a time table in the back of the book, but she also doesn't recommend picking up the pup until its 10 weeks. I have mine at 8 weeks and dont really want to waste the next 2 weeks.

So far i have been working on HERE a lot in the house with treats and in the yard with a CC on. Hes doing really well and I feel has already learned his name from this.

I have been starting WHOA upon exiting his kennel, thats the only time really.

We have about 2 feet of snow in the backyard so yard work isn't exactly easy right now.

He's doing pretty well with potty training. I put him in his kennel last night at 10 and let him out at 6 this morning and he was awake, but not crying and there were no messes.

Sunday I was hoping to take him out for a walk in the woods to try and avoid the deep snow. Would this be a good time to introduce him to a duck wing? I also have a dead pigeon that I could use.

Ive read on here that wind on a string can ruin a pup, so what is the best way to introduce the pup to birds? I feel like hes ready. He chases after his thrown toys and brings them back almost every time.

I plan on using a check cord when I introduce to birds so he cant run away with it.
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Re: TRAINING TIMELINE

Postby orhunter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Forget the wings. Whatever birds and other smells your pup finds when out on your daily walks will hold for a while. You don't have to rush a good dog. Everything falls into place when the time comes if you provide the opportunity. Actual timetables are of little use. Do what you can when you have time to do it and learn to understand what the pup can handle. Let the pup demonstrate what it was born with through opportunity. Never forget that word.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Are you close to any NAVHDA chapters? In person advice > internet advice.

Generally speaking.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Suggest reading a number of books besides the one you mentioned. Also, Joan is probably right about picking the pup up at 10 weeks but there's very little good data on that issue. Seven weeks has always been the mantra, but, again, sparse evidence for that as well.

We have an eight week old pup in the house now and are doing very minimal work on rudimentary commands like sit,come to name, "kennel", etc. but that's about it. If a treat is involved it's amazing the compliance. There's no hurry.

Not sure what to say about throwing toys at this age. I guess the plan around here is to start in the next few weeks to throw a bouncing ball down a hallway and on the return grab the critter on the fly. Gradually this will be extended to only treating when it's a pure delivery to hand, and later only for a fetch, hold, and drop. How long this takes I don't know but fully expect it will go pretty fast because food's involved. I think this is a better plan than having to deal with your pup always running off with toys instead of dropping them on command into your hand. Also if you do the above you won't have to do a FF in the future.

Introduction to birds? Agree with Orhunter - just let the dog explore his surroundings on as many walks as you can fit in, and if birds show up so much the better. No hurry on that either.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Higgins » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Hello SERE Nate,

Here is a video I did a while back. It shows a young Griffon learning about birds and hunting. It might be helpful to you later on when you begin field work.
https://youtu.be/wvaOvt9sMqs
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 am

Far more pups are ruined by starting training too early than too late.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 am

Age related timelines are VERY old school and have been debunked for many years.
They have no bearing on modern training programs.
Flow Charts are very valuable but age related timelines are crap.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1300 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:25 pm

jlw034 wrote:Are you close to any NAVHDA chapters? In person advice > internet advice.

Generally speaking.

I do, but they are not very active this time of year.
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:25 pm

jlw034 wrote:Are you close to any NAVHDA chapters? In person advice > internet advice.

Generally speaking.

I do, but they are not very active this time of year.
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Doc E wrote:Age related timelines are VERY old school and have been debunked for many years.
They have no bearing on modern training programs.
Flow Charts are very valuable but age related timelines are crap.

Thank you. A flow chart is more what I'm looking for.

So far HERE is coming along very well. Hes also doing great at potty training. He has slept through the night in his kennel with no accidents the last 2 nights. He also is starting to ring the bell to go outside. I throw his toys and he goes and gets them and brings them to me to throw again. I only do this 3 or 4 times and leave him wanting more.

I assume that Whoa will be my next step?
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby Higgins » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:19 pm

nicely thought out flow chart ... and interesting concepts
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:46 pm

There is never a time line to training a dog, there is only a flow chart, or I prefer the term Program. Each dog progresses at his own speed.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:13 pm

It's not always best to keep pushing forward. If a roadblock pops up, it's just fine to start over again from scratch.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Nate,
Glad to see you putting the time in and reading up,etc. so far. and the cool news? That effort will translate into you stoning birds with your new pal this coming season. :D
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Training