1st 48 hours with a puppy.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 1st 48 hours with a puppy.

Postby SERE Nate » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Solid on both sides. Just a small spot on his tail
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby SERE Nate » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 am

Decided to follow everyone's advice and drove straight through after picking up the puppy this morning. Puppy managed to find his own adventure! Stopped along the way on a gravel road, he started sniffing all over, thought he was looking for a place to pee, then a covy of huns busted out of the bushes on other side of the fence. Too cool. Can't thanks Sean N Monica Allen from Broken Bow Kennels in Idaho Falls enough.
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby SERE Nate » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am

Screenshot_20171217-080615.jpg
Screenshot_20171217-080615.jpg
Here's some pics from day one
Attachments
Screenshot_20171217-080631.jpg
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 am

I doubt a dog that looks like that will ever learn to hunt. Better ship it to me before you waste a bunch of time trying to train him.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm

hicntry wrote:All depends on how solid the pup is and what kind of experiences he has had already. It may not be stressful at all and you are the only one that can judge that.

hicntry wrote:If the breeder did his job the pup should be able to adjust to new things already. If the pup spent most the time in a kennel, maybe not unless he is really solid.

Why on earth would you borrow trouble like that? You hopefully have 10+ years with the dog. No need to take it duck hunting when you've only had it 12 hours and see how good of a job the breeder really did exposing the dog to gunfire.

Some people are generally speaking far more cautious and controlling about introducing everything according to a plan and schedule, and you see it here when people feel their dog isn't developing on a schedule either they or some book or expert imposed...Just like some parents are much more protective than others, or more rigid in their expectations of their children, whatever...

But taking a brand new puppy duck hunting is asking to create problems unnecessarily.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Y'all seem to be assuming the op is an idiot. I am assuming he is not and if he takes the pup out he has the sense to know when enough is enough. Personally it wouldn't bother me to take the pup out....he might never even get to the blind, but, he will be out having fun. As far as parvo, I would guess most experienced people know that duck season isn't parvo time.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Screenshot_20171218-180433.jpg
Pups safe and sound. Working on here with treats and whoa before he leaves his kennel. He's running around the yard dragging his check chord for now.
SERE Nate
Started
Started

Postby Quailguy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm a few days behind on this topic, but would like to respond to orhunter and ryanr; I agree and respectfully disagree with the time I lost while waiting for Jace to finish all his shots. I agree that in a best case scenario, Jace should have hitting the fields immediately. Where I live, there are several people in and around the neighborhood who do not bother with shots, vet care, or keeping their dogs under control or even at home. Parvo is active here.

Years ago I had a GSP would came down with Parvo at 13 months old. I can't say where he got it. My second PP got it when she was 3 months old. The only places she had been was in my back yard and the ranch I hunt. Because we had taken the preventative steps at home, I believe she picked up the disease in the field. Luckily both dogs survived, but the PP only lived until 12 when her heart gave out. Coyotes, raccoons, cats, and rotten kids can all transfer Parvo around. Because of my experience with it before, I'm overly cautious and want others to realize the potential hazards. Talk to your vet and local animal shelters, they are the ones to ask if Parvo is rampant in your area.

I was able to compensate, as best as possible, to make up that lost time by getting a jump start on his yard work. I knew it was not as good as the real thing, but Jace didn't seem to mind. Also in my favor is that I'm retired and can spend a lot of time with him. At 4 months, he was into 4-6 coveys of wild quail a day, 3 times a week. Because this is a banner quail year for us, he's progressing quickly. Until the Thomas Fire destroyed everything around us (including the ranch I hunt), we were hunting 3 days a week. I'll brag and tell you that last week, Jace pointed 15 of the 28 birds we (3 hunters) bagged. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

To orhunter and ryanr, you guys obviously know what you're talking about. I, on the other hand, am a little dim-witted but would be remiss if I didn't also pass on what little knowledge I have based on true experiences.

Happy New Year to all!
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Quailguy: We all adapt to our immediate surroundings and given your's, I may have done the same thing. One thing we need to do is not believe everything our veterinarians tell us. From disease to neutering. On-line research is much more reliable for real, not imagined dangers. When I first got a dog, my Vet wanted to inoculate against everything, including Heart Worm. We have no Heart Worm in this area, he has never seen a case of it that was locally contracted.....if at all. Rabies is another one. Look at how many cases of Canine Rabies there are annually in the US. Probably count them on one hand. Always be skeptical of anyone who gives advice who may be able to make a buck from that advice. Let common sense rule your decisions. Your dog depends on you.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:45 pm

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing I am told.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:26 pm

A little knowledge can save your bacon.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 am

I lost a four month old GWP pup to parvo in 86. He was a gorgeous puppy, would sit, stay, heel, come, retrieve in land and water at top speed, and rip a field to find and point released quail like a demon. Tears, money, blood transfusion and IVs could not save him. He had been vaccinated 3 times and contracted it at my vet at the time office. She later lost her license to practice. The heck of it is, my breeder told me to insist on the vet coming out to my car to vaccinate the puppy and to not take them into the vet's office. I did not heed his advice and should have. More is known now about the disease and the vaccines and treatments are far better now, but there is valid reason for caution ... When I was in Canada this fall there were too many semi-feral dogs roaming around that I am sure were not current on their shots and some spoiling for dog fight. It made airing my dog around the hotel frankly a scary proposition on several levels.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:07 am

I have had probably between 100 and 150 pups with parvo. We have discussed it on this list many times. Tucco and Harper, the two dogs I have now came from a group of 13 that that had parvo. Never did develop a fear of parvo....or cancer.....or torn tendons.....or hd. When something is actually understood you don't have to fear it.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training