Noise/gun conditioning

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Noise/gun conditioning

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 pm

My 15 week old Griff does not seem to have any issues with loud noises so far, but I'm consulting because I don't want to mess this up.

When he eats (inside the house) I will either pop the large sized bubble wrap or shoot a cap gun a couple times. He will either just keep eating or look up to see what the noise is and then continue eating, he has never showed any fear. Should I be worried that he looks up at the noise or is this fine as long as he does not show fear? Should I continue on this regime for awhile at meals and see how he progresses?
Attachments
IMG_0946.JPG
Sooty42
Started
Started

Re: Noise/gun conditioning

Postby Quailguy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

He sounds just fine. Don't rush it, he's still just a baby. Tons of ideas on this site on how to intro gunfire. Remember "train, don't test".
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Pup
Pup

Postby Densa44 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 am

Don't rush x's 2 I think that in over 50 years I've only seen a couple of gun shy dogs, so in hunting dogs it is rare. If you were trying to induce it, rushing it would be a good choice. A busy duck blind is not the place to start. When he is older shoot a few pigeons over him. I use those dollar store cap guns and they seem to work fine.

Take your time, don't cause problems that you don't have.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:57 am

A lot of breeders will introduce gunfire starting at maybe 5 weeks. The longer you wait, the greater the chance a pup will develop phobias about life events. Young pups are pretty bullet proof, not fragile snow flakes many take them to be. Do it now, do it right, never look back.

Time to introduce the e-collar. I'll assume you know how unless you say you don't. Better be working on fetch and whoa also. I'll assume you know that also unless you say you don't.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:10 pm

If he keeps doing well with cap gun and bubble wrap I plan to move on to 12 ga blanks or primed poppers because I'm not gonna spend money on a starter pistol. I guess I'll continue doing the blanks/poppers while he's eating food or maybe chasing a toy (I don't have access to birds). I'll of course start at a distance and slowly reduce distance from him.

I don't have an e-collar yet. I was planning on getting one in the next few months and assume the collar will have instructions and/or I could use info on this site.

I work on whoa at meal times, going in and out of house, and sometimes on a leash.

He does well with fetch (I have kept it simple so far usually in the house). I need to expand on this. So far he will only retrieve the puppy bumper (Averageguy's idea) I made him. Which I assume is ok because he is only 4 months old.

Thanks for the replies

(The photo is his water training in the tub, since water outside is a little chilly for a pup in December. Please excuse the pink mermaid toy it is my daughters, but he likes it).
Attachments
IMG_1045.JPG
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

A dog that looks like that will never amount to anything....worthless. Ship him to me...consider it a charity to take him off your hands.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm

If he didn't look up I'd be worried he was deaf! Relax, gun shyness or sensitivity doesn't mean the dog acknowledges or reacts to gun fire. It means it does so negatively by shutting down, heading for the hills scared or running back to the safety of its master.

Today my 6 month old was searching in investigating tracks heavy brush down by the lake when what I initially thought was a very, very loud gunshot echoed thru the valley. Moments later she came bounding out with the hair on her neck bristled up. She didn't run back to me but she wasn't sure what the heck she had just heard. A minute or two later it happened again, it was even louder and was,very clearly an explosion of some sort like somebody firing off a noise cannon. She did the same thing, bristled up and was looking for whatever did that but never once ran back to me or away nor was she afraid.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Heck no I won't give him up, he's the best hunting dog I've ever owned! Although you could almost convince me when he's being a pain in the a**.
Sooty42
Started
Started

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:54 pm

orhunter wrote:A lot of breeders will introduce gunfire starting at maybe 5 weeks. The longer you wait, the greater the chance a pup will develop phobias about life events. Young pups are pretty bullet proof, not fragile snow flakes many take them to be. Do it now, do it right, never look back.

I do it young also. At 5 or 6 months they can get a little spooky then you have to be more careful. I always have it done before that. After I do the cap gun I use one of my older dogs that get excited when they see a shotgun. I empty the shot out of some shells and use those. When the older dog and the pup are hopping around excited I shoot away from the pup and act excited also, only one shot in the beginning then wait 3 or 4 days. The pup sees the older dog getting excited and thinks it is something good. I don't wait till they are old enough to chase birds. I always have gun conditioning done by 3 or 4 months. What I do isn't the norm but it works for me.
I've seen two dogs that were gun shy and it can't be fixed by any normal person. Don't get sloppy with this and take your time.

When you start hunting or training the dog don't go out with big groups of hunters that are going to blast away. I try to control the situation and only have one person shooting a shot or two at a time at birds.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Return to Training