Critique and Question on Retrieving

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Critique and Question on Retrieving

Postby Quailguy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:10 pm

I am currently working my 8 month old male Pudelpointer. I'm looking to all of your experiences to see if I'm on the right track. Jace never left the yard until he was 4 months due to the abundant Parvo problem in my area. Backyard work consisted on play fetch, here, and a little healing as he's a big puller. At 4 months, I started taking him to a local ranch that I hunt. Southern California had a unbelievable quail hatch and I could get him into 200-400 wild birds in a few hours, 3-4 times a week. He learned what we were after and realized the joy in chasing young birds. At that time I slowly introduced gunfire and he has no issues with it at all. When the season opened, my only hope was that he would come back when called and increase his already strong bird drive. My plan was to make this his introductory year and would get serious in his training during the off season. Since he often gets to downed birds before I do, he picks them up and will head my direction, but won't bring them all the way to me. At this point, I'm not too concerned with that. I started a week and a half ago on force fetch, using "The green book" method which has worked for my last 3 Pudelpointers. Here's my question: how do I stop the constant "mouthing" of the dummy? He also likes to pick up the rope end of the dummy. Popping under the chin, telling him "no", hasn't had any effect. He's collar conditioned, but I don't want to go that route just yet. According to my wife, he's as stubborn as me and doesn't like being told what to do (that's a shocker). I guess this developed into a question. I'll appreciate any advise I can get.
All the best
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies
Quailguy
Pup
Pup

Re: Critique and Question on Retrieving

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 pm

As far as picking the dummy up by the rope, take the rope off.

To correct picking up by the ends, drive nails through the end all the way around.

Mouthing is tough but USUALLY straightens itself out with a lot of birds. I'm assuming he does not do it while stationary and holding?

When he's older and he mouth's the bird, command NO! HERE! and nick him and do it whenever he mouths the bird. Truthfully it's one of those problems that usually is only a problem in the owners mind unless the dog is actually crushing the bird.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quailguy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Thankfully, he's the softest mouthed dog I've had. I did take the rope off, but he likes that end for some reason. I'll do as you suggest and see what happens. The birds he has picked have been held correctly, so I may be a tad paranoid. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quailguy
Quailguy
Pup
Pup

Postby Chadwick » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Truthfully it's one of those problems that usually is only a problem in the owners mind unless the dog is actually crushing the bird.

x10

Quailguy,

If the dog is picking up the bird and heading toward you, turn your back and keep walking. After 5 to 10 steps, without looking at the dog, crouch down on your knees with your back turned to the dog and see what the dog does. If the dog brings the bird to you, then don't take the bird right away. Praise the dog for a while and let him enjoy holding the bird while you pet him. Then at some point as he gets tired of holding the bird, let him give it to you. If he puts the bird on the ground right by you that is great as it is a sign of cooperation.

Stop popping the dog under the chin. Why would a dog want to put something in your hands if there is the risk you are going to hit it under the chin?

Using heavier retrieving objects discourages mouth and grabbing at the ends by forcing the dog to balance the object in its mouth.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Water retrieves cured my pup of the dreaded cigar carry. if he holds it right it makes a wake and pushes the water out of the way. If he cigar carries he might as well be holding a funnel.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 pm

LongHammer wrote:Water retrieves cured my pup of the dreaded cigar carry. if he holds it right it makes a wake and pushes the water out of the way. If he cigar carries he might as well be holding a funnel.

Nice tip. :multi:
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quailguy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:46 pm

I appreciate everyone's guidance. I plan to exploit your expertise at every opportunity.
Quailguy
Pup
Pup

Return to Training