Yup,,,,another FF training question,,,,or two

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Yup,,,,another FF training question,,,,or two

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 am

Gonehuntin,
No . Prepare the dog. Its a method you are not used too. Graham wrote a whole book on it and doesn't cover it. Remember we are trying to help non pro trainers. I don't just Force a dog to pick up a goose, because they may find it repulsive..... But prepare the dog for what is expected. That may mean some fun retrieves.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:41 am

If it were me, I'd be real disappointed and concerned if I paid lots of money for a supposed versatilehunting dog that found any type of bird repulsive to pick up. Maybe I just lucked out with my dogs but they have been bird crazy pretty much from day 1.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 am

Kiger2 wrote:Gonehuntin,
No . Prepare the dog. Its a method you are not used too. Graham wrote a whole book on it and doesn't cover it. Remember we are trying to help non pro trainers. I don't just Force a dog to pick up a goose, because they may find it repulsive..... But prepare the dog for what is expected. That may mean some fun retrieves.

Point is Kiger, if a dog is a bird-a-holic going in to FF, you probably are not going to have to FF it on birds. You WILL, but the dog will want to do it anyhow. Bid difference.

Here's a couple pics of a pup on it's first goose. Had never seen one before. Notice that on the first pic the pup is running mouth wide open for the goose. Hit the goose so hard, they both rolled in the dirt.

Second pic is her coming in with the bird.

Now, I know you love to argue over nothing but read what I've said, not what you think I said. Let me break this down for you. If a pup is a bird-a-holic going in to FF, you will not HAVE to FF her on birds, you will simply reinforce it. You'll be in and out in a day or two. You will also have something to fall back on throughout the dog's life when you run in to a problem; BIRDS. They solve a lot.

Now, take a dog like this one that doesn't want to pick up a bird anyhow and start putting a ton of pressure on it BEFORE IT LIKES BIRDS and you may end up with a dog that dislikes birds it's entire life. Or, one that loves them. It can go both ways. As you pointed out, this person is a new trainer. It is far, far, easier to train a bird dog if it likes birds.

Now, please, muddy the water and go ahead and argue.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training