Whistle commands

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Whistle commands

Postby Boxertwin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 am

I have read a number of books and none talk about whistle commands. What patterns do you use for what commands? Are there any typical ones?

I am currently using 5 short for come.
tying to teach 1 long for whoa.

Is there a right and wrong?
Boxertwin
Pup
Pup

Re: Whistle commands

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:12 am

There is no right or wrong. All that matter is your dog learns what each one means and reacts properly. Also think about length and cadence of your whistles.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:44 am

I don't think many of us use whistles. We prefer silent hunting. I know I won't hunt with anyone who uses one.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

Duck hunting on Ice , especially tidal water , will make you a believer in the whistle ....
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am

Smilin' Jack: There is a time and place for whistles, I just don't hunt those. You are correct.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 am

orhunter wrote:I don't think many of us use whistles. We prefer silent hunting. I know I won't hunt with anyone who uses one.

Really? I wouldn't dream of hunting a dog that wasn't whistle trained. They learn from a pup that three means HERE and two means NO.

Then there's the whole handling thing where they have to stop to a whistle and cast. I'd far rather hunt with a person that controls a dog by whistle that hollering. Don't know how'd you'd even do that with a handling dog.

Now with today's ecollars, it certainly is possible to substitute the beep on the collar for the blast of the whistle once they learn the whistle..

I thought you were training your dog's to bend to the whistle instead of stopping and casting?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Now with today's ecollars, it certainly is possible to substitute the beep on the collar for the blast of the whistle once they learn the whistle..

I thought you were training your dog's to bend to the whistle instead of stopping and casting?

Yes that is what I do. Teach the voice and whistle command for Come/Here, then overlay the ecollar tone so I can hunt quietly for the most part. There are instances however when my dog looses track of me in tall thick CRP and high winds and may be going in the wrong direction looking for me. That is when a whistle comes in handy as toning him on the ecollar gives him no clue where I am and just speeds him up going the wrong way.

Bruce Schwartz is the one using the shepards whistle to handle his PP.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Gonehuntin':

I'd rather hunt with a dog that knows how to hunt. If I have to tell my dog where/how to find birds, I don't have a very good dog. Handling for a blind fetch has merit but not much more than that.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Boxertwin wrote:I have read a number of books and none talk about whistle commands. What patterns do you use for what commands? Are there any typical ones?

I am currently using 5 short for come.
tying to teach 1 long for whoa.

Is there a right and wrong?

Nothing wrong with what you are doing just be consistent. I use a two ended whistle. One long blast on the pealess end for Whoa and two staccato blasts on the pea end for Come/Here. Then I overlay the ecollar tone for Come so I can pull the dog to me while hunting in silence. They all have their place.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 am

orhunter wrote:Gonehuntin':

I'd rather hunt with a dog that knows how to hunt. If I have to tell my dog where/how to find birds, I don't have a very good dog. Handling for a blind fetch has merit but not much more than that.

Maybe you hunt different than I and that's why, but how I hunt there are many times when dogs don't see the bird go down and they aren't down wind of it. It might also not be possible to get out of the boat and walk them over to it. Which is where hand signals and whistles really come in useful.

In fact to use the wind to your advantage waterfowl hunting you'll always have the wind to your back which is not at all ideal for the dog.
booger
Pup
Pup

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 am

orhunter wrote:Gonehuntin':

Merit? We couldn't disagree much more on that.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 am

One long blast = whoa
two short tot'es = turn
One long ,two short = come back here

All H2O hand signals after One long blast whistle.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training