Slip Leash

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Slip Leash

Postby ejm4 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 am

How many use a slip leash on their pup? Should I just go with a regular color & leash?
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Re: Slip Leash

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 am

I assume you are asking about using a slip lead to start a dog on a drag or track? I use a nylon fish stringer I buy at walmart for $1 in bright yellow. Cut the metal spike end off and then burn that nylon end with a lighter. Loop it around my wrist through the metal ring on one end then run the other through the center ring on my dogs collar turned to the top. The light nylon will slide through the collar with near zero resistance once the dog has taken hold of the track and you are ready to let it go forward on its own.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

I used a slip leash on both my dogs to train heeling. I was very happy with the result. Some dogs may require a pinch collar though.

I believe I used the Mendota brand.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm not totally sure whether you're referring to a leash or a check cord. For leads I use 3/4" nylon pre made ones that are like a lasso on one end, or one with a thumb operated clasp on the end. I have both for different situations. For training leads and check cords I seem to use 3/8" nylon rope a lot and have different lengths for different training situations, but I also have a few commercial ones that seem to perform even better than rope.

I've always threaded the lead up UNDER the dog's collar from back to front thinking it binds less when you release the dog, but I've also been told that the free end can flip forward and strike the dog in the nose or eyes and so is better to thread the lead OVER the collar as you view from behind. I've never noticed an issue the way I described and do think it glides better. I also have a clasp one end of some of my leads so I can tie the dog out, or tie him up, or have a way to keep control when needed.

As far as collars go you need one over an inch wide and preferable with a ring joint in a couple of places for better flex, and a way to clasp the lead to the collar if you want. Sorry to say, but a synthetic collar seems to dry quicker and be better all around than leather. I'm not familiar with Mendota brand leads or pinch collars.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 am

For a training collar I use a leather pinch collar from pineyrunkennel.com . It looks positively medieval, but, my soft (yet stubborn) dog got used to it in 15 minutes.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Training