DD puppy come home next week - help / tips needed.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: DD puppy come home next week - help / tips needed.

Postby GFORCE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 am

In Indiana it is now illegal to let your dog get cold. Maybe this is some "trainers"
are being preemptive.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 am

Wonder how they'll determine a dog is cold.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Hard to know for sure just from photos but your pup's coat looks like more like my 5yr old slick's coat. Nothing wrong with a coat if you choose but I'd only use it if the temps are truly cold, like well below freezing particularly if there,is,frigid North wind to boot. For the most part you likely won't need it. My pup shivered a bit the very first cold snap but now she's used to it and thankfully has a real good dense, probably medium harsh coat.

Joan Bailey's "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" is indeed excellent. I'm reading and following it quite a bit. It basically preaches repeated conditioning and exposure for the pup's first year rather than lots of formal training. It's always nice to start doing that a little younger but don't worry too much about being behind the 8 ball. You can start doing the conditioning work now and you and pup will likely be fine.

My pup's first bird exposure was to chukars, didn't have quail at the time. I plucked some primaries and let pup search it out. She was very interested in the scent and bird but was cautious and didn't want to get too close. That was the first time but she pounced on and carried the dead one I dropped for her. The next time I used a live chukar she was cautious for a moment, especially when it started running but those instincts kicked in and she ran it down. If you can get quail, get them. If not chukars aren't that big a deal for a young draht going on 15, 16 weeks. The exposure is needed so use what you can, except pheasants.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Wonder how they'll determine a dog is cold.

They'll have some Do Gooder talk to the dog and ask it. :lol:
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training