DD puppy come home next week - help / tips needed.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

DD puppy come home next week - help / tips needed.

Postby ejm4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 pm

We will be bring our first hunting dog home next week. She is a 14 week old DD. Any potty training / crate training tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Re: DD puppy come home next week - help / tips needed.

Postby TruAblePup » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm

From Buffeltaler? I see you're from Penn. If so, I think I may have a littermate.
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby ejm4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm

No, from Mayne.

We live in the Harrisburg area.
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby TruAblePup » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 am

ejm4 wrote:No, from Mayne.

We live in the Harrisburg area.

We'll, I am new at this too. But the Drahthaar Puppy Manual is a good start. So is Leerburg's puppy program. Just be careful to temper the lessons for a gun dog. Be careful of the tugging games, etc.

This is pup is a lot of *&^% work! Keeping me busy and lean too. ;) The guys here will have a lot more wisdom to share than I.

Good luck!
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby woodboro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

hope Is all well.... 14 weeks old is typically a little older for new pup owners... usually 6-8 weeks.
You probably had your hands full from the get , but I hope you create a journal of goals to reach in your day to day
week by week log. Letting the dog be a pup is all good and fine , but as you also know obedience is very helpful.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ejm4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 am

She is doing well. Started basic obedience classes and responds well. House training is also going well. Growing leaps and bound every week!!
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm

At 14 wks need to focus on socialization... other dogs especially.

Keep expectations realistic... shes a relatively late pup and may not get the same hunting season older pups do.

Good luck,
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 pm

While working with the obedience trainer, she told us the pup will need a coat for the winter months? Thoughts?
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

ejm4 wrote:While working with the obedience trainer, she told us the pup will need a coat for the winter months? Thoughts?

Yeah, your OB trainer has no clue about hunting dogs. Just nod and thank her politely for the advice. I'm guessing you're probably in one of those puppy obedience and socialization group classes. I did that with my first DD pup, they're fun and a great way to get socialization and learn some good positive reinforcement methods. However, most of the people teaching them are not hunting people and don't own or regularly work with hunting dogs of any age.

My group's trainer was really nice and surprised me by knowing some about my breed (she did her homework before our first class) but beyond that she knew nothing about hunting dogs and didn't pretend to. What she did know was that my pup was just about the boldest and most outgoing pup in the class. And she also knew how much more my pup was getting exposed to than most of the other pups in the class. We were doing daily short exposure hikes and half to even whole day hikes on weekends from the day he got home. He was pretty popular with everyone in the class. Enjoy your pup and enjoy the class, don't worry about getting a coat for your DD though. You'll embarrass the poor girl in front of all the other Drahthaars, lol!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

We just go to a private session type of training. The trainer works a lot with labs & hunting. But we are just working on the basic stuff and I will take her to a different place for hunt training.

We were at the vet yesterday (vet raises's short hairs) she suggested when hunting or heavy exercise - no coat. But if the dog is just putzing around the yard while I snow blow, she should have a coat.
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:54 am

Over 30 years with GWPs, the only time I have ever put a coat on one is a neoprene vest while hunting waterfowl in cold weather. We have upland bird hunted in temps down to 13 below zero F and dogs involved never wore a coat and would have overheated if they did. An active DD with the normal quality dual coat, while on dry land, is very seldom to never going to need a coat if moving around. Post some photos of your pup, we like to see them.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 pm

A couple pics.

The pic of her laying on the floor is her not wanting to go outside to pee before bed time...
Attachments
20171121_190942.jpg
20171116_214558.jpg
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:50 pm

ejm4 wrote:We just go to a private session type of training. The trainer works a lot with labs & hunting. But we are just working on the basic stuff and I will take her to a different place for hunt training.

We were at the vet yesterday (vet raises's short hairs) she suggested when hunting or heavy exercise - no coat. But if the dog is just putzing around the yard while I snow blow, she should have a coat.

So basically you have a snowflake trainer and vet, lol. I don't know what to tell you.

My 5yr old Drahthaar is a slick with fairly thin coat for a draht. He's never worn a coat for warmth while hunting or just hanging around outside. And we've hunted grouse in near zero temps and a driving snowstorm. My new pup is almost 6 months and has an excellent coat and my goodness I can't imagine how overheated she'd get wearing something this winter. The only time I would consider it would be a neoprene vest if duck hunting in very cold weather.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ejm4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:32 am

They maybe snowflakes. Our pup doesn't have the long coat yet (I'm not sure she will have the traditional longer coat.) She is just starting to get her beard a couple long hairs on her paws. Sometimes while on walks she will be shivering. We have a coat and will just play it by ear if we see her shivering.

On another subject,

I took her for some bird training yesterday. She was not at all interested in the chukkar and was afraid of it. The trainer brought another dog out and she watched the dog and chased along side of her while it chased the birds. She did enjoy tracking the bird feathers...
ejm4
Pup
Pup

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

Never heard of putting a coat on a hunting dog to pee. You'll make a wussy out of her.

Joan Baileys book is great for the new owner. Incidentally, you put the cart before the horse. You should have been reading first and had a training plan all set, now you're behind the 8 ball.

She's only 14 weeks. Trainer should be showing her quail, not chuckar.

My advice: Secure the house.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training