Versatile dog puppy training.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Versatile dog puppy training.

Postby Boxertwin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 am

Hi, Does anyone know good sources for the training to do on puppies? I have the 'green book' from NAVHDA but most everything in it is beyond a 12 week old. I'm looking for the 'do not do' info as much as the 'do this' info. Our Pudelpointer is very high energy, so much so that getting her attention is hard. She will sit on command but when she is hyper (basically when she is awake) it is hard to get her to focus even for a short time.
Boxertwin
Pup
Pup

Re: Versatile dog puppy training.

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 am

Altmoor Drahthaar Puppy Manual...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Altmoor Drahthaar Puppy Manual...

I wholeheartedly second that recommendation and I'll add Joan Bailey's "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Beech » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Agree with Joan Baileys "How to help gun dogs train themselves". Its all about mental conditioning in the first year.
Dont worry too much about the lack of focus in your dog. This is completely normal and the dog will mature at its own rate. The first year or so can be pretty crazy
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Boxertwin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks, I'm ordering it today.
Now does anyone know a good scotch that goes well with raising a puppy? It's been a long time since our last pups.....or children.
Boxertwin
Pup
Pup

Postby TruAblePup » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:37 pm

I am at the same place you are. I have a highly driven DD pup. This what I am doing in addition to the Altmoor DD Manual.

https://university.leerburg.com/Catalog/viewCourse/cid/37

And this one is REALLY good for general working pup development.

https://leerburg.com/flix/player.php/1406/Raising_Your_Puppy_with_Michael_Ellis

I am working my pup everyday, multiple times. He is progressing and getting the stimulation he needs. These give me the tools to lay a good beginning foundation.

Happy training!

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby Boxertwin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Another stupid question but how do you play with your puppy (that sounds bad). My pup wants some serious roughhouse playing but I hear that the tug-o-war is bad as are many things like running and having them chase you or doing too much throwing the ball and playing fetch. I don't want to create bad habits but this dog needs to get energy out and I live in a city with a medium sized yard so we have limited options. Until she gets her rabies shots, I don't want to take her to meet other dogs at the dog park where she would get some good running.

What have you all done?
Boxertwin
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Rabies is the least of your worries. There's like one case a year of canine Rabies in all of North America. It's a non-issue.

No squeaky toys. No ball tossing unless it is part of an organized training session where the pup has no choice but to bring it back to you. You should not chase the dog, it should chase you.

Work on whoa, fetch, tracking, come, no. Don't expect the dog to hear/obey any word you say for a while but keep trying. Teach leash manners, no tugging...or else.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Beech » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:31 am

For all their high drive puppy energy, lots of walking/running activity. They need multiple miles each day to help keep that energy level in check.So in your case one hundred laps around the block each day, before the scotch.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GFORCE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:47 pm

My PP didnt start really being obedient until he was two. And still he has his moments.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby TSAMP » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I have a 16 week old PP. I know exactly what you mean with the scotch. I have been working on leash manners to help with burning off energy. Also trips to the local WMA for some off leash running. VET didnt like it but i figured it was safer than the dog parks.
TSAMP
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:59 pm

TSAMP wrote:I have a 16 week old PP. I know exactly what you mean with the scotch. I have been working on leash manners to help with burning off energy. Also trips to the local WMA for some off leash running. VET didnt like it but i figured it was safer than the dog parks.

Vet didn't like it? Why not? Makes no sense to me, it's going to be a hunting dog. My GWP is 16wks, she gets run off leash everyday at least once for an hour, even more on weekends. I have to run my 5yr old dog so she goes to and gets tons of exposure as I constantly rotate the areas of several gamelands I run them on. They don't get bored and learn a lot this way and I never go to dog parks. Heck my vet thinks it's great, she likes that she's a hunting dog that is actually going to hunt- a lot. And like my 5yr old dog, she comments on how good and well-muscled the pup looks.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm

ryanr wrote:
TSAMP wrote:I have a 16 week old PP. I know exactly what you mean with the scotch. I have been working on leash manners to help with burning off energy. Also trips to the local WMA for some off leash running. VET didnt like it but i figured it was safer than the dog parks.

Vet didn't like it? Why not? Makes no sense to me, it's going to be a hunting dog.
My GWP is 16wks, she gets run off leash everyday at least once for an hour, even more on weekends. I have to run my 5yr old dog so she goes to and gets tons of exposure as I constantly rotate the areas of several gamelands I run them on. They don't get bored and learn a lot this way and I never go to dog parks. Heck my vet thinks it's great, she likes that she's a hunting dog that is actually going to hunt- a lot. And like my 5yr old dog, she comments on how good and well-muscled the pup looks.

Parvo, if I had to guess...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TSAMP » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Parvo yes. Lepto and lyme. List probably continues. I am pretty new to it all. My first dog was a lab who never met a vet. I looked at it this way. The odds of crossing paths with that stuff were far less likely than the benefits my dog would get from the early exposure, not to mention the excercise.
TSAMP
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

TSAMP wrote:Parvo yes. Lepto and lyme. List probably continues. I am pretty new to it all. My first dog was a lab who never met a vet. I looked at it this way. The odds of crossing paths with that stuff were far less likely than the benefits my dog would get from the early exposure, not to mention the excercise.

I was assuming we were talking about a pup that already had its shots. I mean the pup is already at least 16weeks old. Find a vet that knows a darn thing or two about hunting/working dogs. Sounds like your current vet's expertise is in lap dogs.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training