It Ain't In Any Book

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

It Ain't In Any Book

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am

I get a kick out of a lot of posts answering problems. They'll say "Rex said this" or "Lardy Says That". "The book says to do it this way". Well, what if you run into something that is in no book and you actually have to figure it out yourself? Usually if you can figure out WHY figuring out HOW is easy.

I am blessed and cursed to live on a peninsula with a Bay on one side, a Lake on the other. Many morning I get up early and take the dog's for long walks on the beach. I walk, they swim. I am working an outstanding 16 month DD pup now. When we get to the lake, SHE ALWAYS SWIMS SOUTH. Waves don't matter, wind doesn't matter, there is no current. If I walk North, she swims south, goes a quarter mile or so, swims to shore, runs back, swims straight out,, and heads south again.

Now, I know how to cure it and it's an easy cure but I don't consider it a problem. If I shoot a bird or throw a bumper she goes sraight out and comes straight back.

So my question for the brain trust here is why, lake or bay, she only swims South?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: It Ain't In Any Book

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 am

Maybe the dog is right footed. Watch the dog walk. Does the dog lead with the right foot? If it does, the right shoulder will always be slightly ahead of the left one . A left footed dog is just the opposite. Assuming of course that south is always to the left....otherwise reverse it.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Doesn't seem to be. Quartering the field, she quarters to right and left equally. Or seems to. She doesn't go back and forth, she heads South in a perfectly straight line.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

It is hard to see. Right handed people lead with the right foot and, that same as dogs, the left foot is always just a tad behind. When walking behind a dog it is easy to see the dogs rear end off to one side or the other. Easily compensated for on land. Maybe not so much in the water. Just a thought. We would all walk in arcs if we didn't naturally compensate for it.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm

That's an interesting theory HC but I THINK if that were so she'd start in one direction, then gradually veer in an arc. She doesn't do that. She swims straight out then hooks south 90 degrees and takes off. It is really a strange thing. She may stay out swimming an hour at a time, sometimes a quarter mile from shore.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Just a thought. Probably only thought of it because of my nightly consumption of Knob Creek. :lol: :lol: It is almost 5 come to think of it. :wink:

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Could it have to do with the sun/sunlight?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Easy, she has homing pigeon instincts and she naturally wants to swim towards where she was born without knowing exactly why.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 pm

What is the prevailing wind in your region? Most dogs instinctively seek the wind land or water with no conscious thought to what they are doing. Just throwing a dart hoping for a bull.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Beech » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Could be the undercurrent.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 pm

There is negligible current in Lake Michigan or Green Bay. Doesn't matter what direction the waves are, northerly or southerly, she heads south. There is nothing down the shore to draw her in that direction. I can put her in the water in a known spot or a strange section of the Lake and she heads south. Throw a bumper and it's straight out and straight back. Damndest thing. I pride myself on being able to figure out why dog's do something; she has me beat. It really isn't a problem, just baffles me.

Thanks all for the responses.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:18 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:There is negligible current in Lake Michigan or Green Bay. Doesn't matter what direction the waves are, northerly or southerly, she heads south. There is nothing down the shore to draw her in that direction. I can put her in the water in a known spot or a strange section of the Lake and she heads south. Throw a bumper and it's straight out and straight back. Damndest thing. I pride myself on being able to figure out why dog's do something; she has me beat. It really isn't a problem, just baffles me.

Thanks all for the responses.

Could be one you never come to truly know... but, gotta admit it's a fun riddle.

Is it always south, on any body of water?
Or, does it make a difference which shoreline you are walking on ?
Or, which direction you are walking?
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 pm

She doesn't do it on small ponds. If I walk North, she always swims South. Shoreline doesn't SEEM to matter. Lake Michigan has a Westerly shoreline, Green Bay Easterly. She swims south on either one.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 pm

How about with a shoreline going East and West with South going inland? Will the dog swim East or West? Is the dog actually swimming to the South......or always to the left or the right?

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:04 pm

I can't answer either question HC, but they're both damned good ones. Have to try that.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training