It Ain't In Any Book

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

It Ain't In Any Book

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am

I get a kick out of a lot of posts answering problems. They'll say "Rex said this" or "Lardy Says That". "The book says to do it this way". Well, what if you run into something that is in no book and you actually have to figure it out yourself? Usually if you can figure out WHY figuring out HOW is easy.

I am blessed and cursed to live on a peninsula with a Bay on one side, a Lake on the other. Many morning I get up early and take the dog's for long walks on the beach. I walk, they swim. I am working an outstanding 16 month DD pup now. When we get to the lake, SHE ALWAYS SWIMS SOUTH. Waves don't matter, wind doesn't matter, there is no current. If I walk North, she swims south, goes a quarter mile or so, swims to shore, runs back, swims straight out,, and heads south again.

Now, I know how to cure it and it's an easy cure but I don't consider it a problem. If I shoot a bird or throw a bumper she goes sraight out and comes straight back.

So my question for the brain trust here is why, lake or bay, she only swims South?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: It Ain't In Any Book

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 am

Because that's where the horizon is?

I don't own a single training book with the exception of the old, Green Book. I read in once, put it away, gathers dust on the shelf. This website is a book in its self, no need to waste money on additional material. Besides, the book writers don't know my dog, have never hunted where I've hunted and think every dog is an idiot with next to zero natural ability. I want a dog to show me what it was born with before making any adjustments.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Mostly, it's Lake Michigan. 100 miles across, several hundred long. Pup paddles straight for the horizon (EAST), then squares the shore and heads south. One of the great water dog's I have ever owned, maybe the greatest. I walk North, she heads South. I walk South, she heads South.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Sounds like a snow bird to me. Gimme Florida, it's damn cold here in where ever.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Best explanation yet. Following the waterfowl and woodcock. Smart dog.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Pretty simple really,

North of the equator they swim south, warmer water, south of the equator, they swim north , warmer water.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training