WPG Pointing Issues

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: WPG Pointing Issues

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 pm

What Jay asked, what kennel?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Shooter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Just wanted to update this thread and where we're at.

I took the dog off birds completely and introduced the pinch collar with "whoa" and "come". Then overlayed the e-collar with the same commands, then dropped the pinch collar. This process took about three weeks. We started going on walks again and anytime she would chase birds, deer, squirrels, whatever, I wouldn't say anything, just gave her continuous stim until she would stop. I would just keep walking as if I hadn't noticed.

Then I brought out the pigeons and launcher again. I would bring her into the scent cone crosswind, with checkcord and pinch collar. The first few times she tried bolting towards the pigeon, again I kept my mouth shut, and let her fight the pinch collar. The instant she stopped fighting I would launch the pigeon, shoot and let her retrieve the bird. The idea I was trying to convey to her was good things happen when she stands still.

When she quit fighting the pinch collar I put her on the e-collar. If she didn't stop when she hit the scent cone I popped the bird and gave her continuous stim until she stopped chasing. Again, giving her no attention. It only took a couple of reps at this stage before she started figuring it out. Out of nowhere she started pointing.

As soon as she started pointing pigeons we went to wild birds. I don't know if things just clicked for her or what but she has been on the ball ever since. She points chukar from 25+ yards away, holds a point for however long it takes for me to get there and is steady to wing, shot and fall. No idea where that came from, and retrieves to hand. I keep waiting for the wheels to come off the bus again, but she's been outstanding on 12 outings now.

Thanks everyone for the advice and insight. She's been a pleasure to hunt over and I think she understands the teamwork aspect of the hunting game now, which is neat to see and experience. Thanks again!
Shooter
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Another success story. I like your method.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training