More training photos

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

More training photos

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 am

CLICK ON PICTURES FOR LARGER VIEW

From right to left.
Eva, front view of her point. Remi, the pup I have in for training,Max being Backed by Lenny, Max being backed by Lenny, My training partner "Parting the waters", Anka pointing her duck on a duck search.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

From right to left.
Probably my favorite picture of Baja and I. She is so honest., Me going to flush., My beautiful Anka, Anka again, Baja bring in the retrieve.

Image Image Image Image Image
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: More training photos

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:32 am

Mary,

I have one question. Why are you letting the pup advance until it is staring down at the bird? Launcher going off in their face is a good way to make them spooky. Shouldn't happen even if the scenting conditions are bad. If you are letting them creep that much you are setting your training backwards.

SMAbby wrote:.....Remi, the pup I have in for training.....

VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:53 am

I can completly agree with you Terry. However, pictures do not tell the whole story.
1. Remi isnt here for bird work, he was simply on a fun run to see what he could do. He was raised in SD and had no clue what a pigeon was. This photo was taken after 3 attempts at the launcher. We then free planted pigeons for him. This is the last bird and the first we got a point on. I was able to get with in a foot.....just close enough to kick at the bird and send the bird and Remi sprinting through the field. He now knows what fun a pigeon can be.
2. I absolutely shouldnt have been out there with him as there was next to no wind. It would come up for a second and die. Even my older dogs where hitting the traps closer than I would like to see.

Now that we cleared up what I screwed up, how about a comment on that point Lenny has! We also learned that he backs naturally. We tried to get a Lenny point and Max back, but Lenny would never get in front of Max. It wasnt that he couldnt....he just wouldnt.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:31 am

SMAbby wrote:I can completly agree with you Terry. However, pictures do not tell the whole story.
1. Remi isnt here for bird work, he was simply on a fun run to see what he could do. He was raised in SD and had no clue what a pigeon was. This photo was taken after 3 attempts at the launcher. We then free planted pigeons for him. This is the last bird and the first we got a point on. I was able to get with in a foot.....just close enough to kick at the bird and send the bird and Remi sprinting through the field. He now knows what fun a pigeon can be.
2. I absolutely shouldnt have been out there with him as there was next to no wind. It would come up for a second and die. Even my older dogs where hitting the traps closer than I would like to see.

Fun runs are OK but if Remi isn't there for training on birds then why were you even putting out birds for him? You might create a problem your client isn't going to be happy with.....!

SMAbby wrote:Now that we cleared up what I screwed up, how about a comment on that point Lenny has! We also learned that he backs naturally. We tried to get a Lenny point and Max back, but Lenny would never get in front of Max. It wasnt that he couldnt....he just wouldnt.

Careful what you ask for....! :P

The one on the right looks good for a "natural back" if that was the first ever situation. In the second it is hard to tell if Lenny might be in the scent cone. If he is, then your "natural back" is going down hill. He is learning it is OK to advance into to the scent cone instead of stopping at first sight. However, dogs can be that close to each other in real hunting situations and both stop in the scent cone. That isn't the situation you want when training and need to prevent it from happening. Either stop the one dog before it can happen or launch the bird. A wasted bird in many situations is easier to overcome than a problem you might create otherwise.

If Lenny begins to tag another dog too much it becomes a problem. He needs to find his own birds. If you want a backing situation for Max keep him on a lead until Lenny points his own bird. Then turn Max loose well before you get to Lenny so he finds the dog standing on point. If Lenny isn't steady enough to allow that to happen you will need a helper. It then becomes more of a situational back (dog backing the handler and dog on point) rather than a true dog honoring another dog's point. Better than nothing but not ideal.

SMAbby wrote:From right to left.
Max being Backed by Lenny, Max being backed by Lenny
Image Image

Good effort in your training but you need to have goals when you load the dogs and head to the field. Winging it serves no purpose.....you are just going through the motions and calling it training. I was once told by a very prominent v-dog trainer that "mediocre training produces nothing but mediocre results". Words to lives by if you want to be a trainer.

t

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 pm

..... you are just going through the motions and calling it training.

Thanks buddy. :)

Man, those Kansas City Chiefs are looking pretty good this year.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm

SMAbby wrote:
..... you are just going through the motions and calling it training.

Thanks buddy. :)

Man, those Kansas City Chiefs are looking pretty good this year.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but there was some beneficial information in my comments. It's up to you to make the most it.... :wink:

Preseason.... :lol: :lol:

Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Im fine with what you have to say. I put it out there. I just know that traini g is just that,training. Training of dog and sometimes the trainer.
There isnt one person on here that dont make mistakes. I put everything of mine out there because it is real life. I could chose to show all the "perfect" moments,but that is pure BS. There is a process.
I did Max and he turned out fine. Baja is ready for VGP and a few steps from her UT. Abby ran 2 UT tests. Brooke a VJP and NA. Anka a VJP and NA and in 2 weeks, her HZP. Good and bad, they have all been a learning experience and a process.
I think it will be ok. :)
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Keep it up Mary, always enjoy reading your posts.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks ryan.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training