NA Tracking Questions

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: NA Tracking Questions

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 pm

lots of ways to screw up a dog, and letting them catch live birds is one of the easiest. AG, the pup you mentioned needs a crash course in the Burnt Creek Method discussed in another thread. It is perfect for dogs studying for their NA.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:lots of ways to screw up a dog, and letting them catch live birds is one of the easiest. AG, the pup you mentioned needs a crash course in the Burnt Creek Method discussed in another thread. It is perfect for dogs studying for their NA.

Which is why I develop tracking via encounters with wild game the pup cannot catch and keep it away from released pheasants rendered incapable of flying.

The WPG could be easily brought back to pointing using my homing/shooter pigeons, launchers and training grounds. Unfortunately the handler and dog live 6 hours away ...

NAVHDA is a wonderful system with some highly skilled/dedicated folks involved. But the use of released pheasants and pen raised birds on NA pups at training days is not the "wonderful" part ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Equally important...pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing and release the dog on the downwind side. Keep in mind, the dog doesn't need to track with their nose down on the ground. If the dog starts to search (cast back and forth), as long as the dog acknowledges the scent trail and advances down it when it crosses it, the dog is doing well.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am

Good for you to test the new dog. In the olden days before T.V. and cars, doggy people were all poor and training had to be done as cheap as possible. I'm still stuck in that mentality.

The key to teaching a dog to track is getting her to put her head down. That's pretty much it. They can find a ham sandwich in a 1/4 section if they try.

Here is what I do; I fill one of those coffee mugs you have in your truck with OXO chicken soup and drip it on a down wind track, (that way the track goes where I want it to!) the most important part I have found is to leave my hat or glove where I start or else I'll never find the starting point. Take the dog down the track on the leash until she gets what the lesson is, then remove the leash.
I leave a dummy at the end which I scent with vanilla extract.

This way you don't need birds, you can lay the track where ever you like and repeat as often as you want. It is quick and very cheap.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for the great advice and techniques all. I've found that varying my training techniques works best with my older griff (new pup is still tbd as to what works best) so the more the merrier.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Training