Pigeons and puppies

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Pigeons and puppies

Postby ForestDump » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 am

How are you teaching the woah method, from the beginning to now. And how big is your buddy stick (phrasing) what do you mean by he doesn't like it?
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Huntin4fun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:sounds like you're on the right track! Your dog may be confusing "whoa" with "come" so you might try a "whoa post" in your yard training as a remedy. I can't remember if you said he was ecollar conditioned but generally that sorts out the whoa vs. come issue as well.

I have only used the e-collar for reinforcing "kennel" at this point and letting him wear it to get used to it. Will look into a woah post if he doesn't start to catch on after the next few sessions.

ForestDump wrote:How are you teaching the woah method, from the beginning to now. And how big is your buddy stick (phrasing) what do you mean by he doesn't like it?

Woah boards in the yard and a checkcord made into a suitcase handle is how I started. I switched over to the wonderlead after a few times and he seems to do well. I have only tried the PVC pipe once...he freaked out when I put it on him and i didn't feel he was understanding the point, he was just wondering why in the heck he has this crazy leash on!

My thought was to try to get the wonderlead attached to the PVC pipe somehow?
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ForestDump » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Sensitize him to the buddy stick so he gets used to it. I would also go back to the board and have the dog stand while increasing distance away. Something went wrong in the foundation where he does not understand woah means stay so he's falling back towards just come back to you.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Huntin4fun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 am

ForestDump wrote:Sensitize him to the buddy stick so he gets used to it. I would also go back to the board and have the dog stand while increasing distance away. Something went wrong in the foundation where he does not understand woah means stay so he's falling back towards just come back to you.

had sort of a breakthrough last night. Did very well on the boards. i was able to go to the end of the wonderlead and walk around him without him moving. He did move his head to watch me, but feet never moved. getting there.

your mention of stay makes me think that is the problem. I did introduce "stay", and probably said "woah" occasionally when throwing a dummy for him. haven't done it since starting on woah, but I think that is where the confusion came in.
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Training