VJP Training Preparation?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

VJP Training Preparation?

Postby TruAblePup » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi guys/gals,

I am new the DD breed and to hunting altogether. I hunted as a kid, but it has been many years. I am very excited to get into to this with my new pup. (coming soon)

What training program would be best educate myself with? I hope to test in the VJP at least. I have the time and energy to train several times a week if needed. I have also hooked up with a respected breeder nearby, who can help somewhat.

I am grateful for any help you can provide.

Thank you,

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Re: VJP Training Preparation?

Postby JONOV » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:42 am

Network as much as you can. The local breeder is a good start. See if there are local get togethers as well.

Going to a NAVHDA meeting in your area might also be valuable, even if you don't test in that system, you are likely to meet other DD folks.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 am

Lots of hunting is the first step.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:13 am

Personally, I'd get the Altmoor Puppy Manual, and follow it closely. It has lots of information from authors who have trained, successfully tested & bred lots of DDs.

I'd also refrain from "training" before VJP. Basic obedience, yes. Steadiness, etc. no.

If you live near decent hunting grounds just get out and hunt. If not, budget a trip and freelance to the Dakotas or OK to get your pup on jackrabbits and wild birds, and you'll be way ahead of the average for VJP.

Basically, just get your pup out and HUNT!!!

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I don't run VJP, I run in NAVHDA, but they're much the same. If a pup is going to have trouble, seems like they have the most trouble getting a good tracking score.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I don't run VJP, I run in NAVHDA, but they're much the same. If a pup is going to have trouble, seems like they have the most trouble getting a good tracking score.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Get him on some bunny tracks.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mahlon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am

If you intend to test, make sure you understand what is being tested from the beginning. If you train your dog to drop the bird at your feet and the HZP wants it to be brought to hand with a sit you will have to untrain and train it the proper way. Not alway easy as I found out. I am sure there are other examples.
mahlon
Started
Started

Postby TruAblePup » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks all!
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby Dkmatt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Remember vjp is naturability and what the judges want to see is that, not necessarily trained characteristics. I would give your pup the opportunity to get on as many rabbit tracks and point as many birds as possible. Just expose them to all the game you can. Make sure there is some basic obedience to have good cooperation, try to get your dog steady, and make sure you work your dog around other dogs/ people as they will be doing so during the test.
Dkmatt
Pup
Pup

Postby Wilkey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm

I totally agree with get him on rabbits. The morning of my vjp DD test, I jumped a rabbit, stopped the truck and put him on it. I had him on many rabbits beforehand, but this is how important the hair track is to the test. Get some live birds and put you dog on them in a wide open field. If you get a chance go and watch a test. Good luck.
Wilkey
Started
Started

Postby mttbgr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits. I actually found out after my VJP to put food down and bring the dog up with your track command to teach him/her to put their nose down and they will be rewarded. Transfer this to rabbits once they get it. It is natural ability so work on the exposure but dont plan on just showing up with no prep. Dog must be solid on come to call. Expose also to all kinds of field cover, you never know what the search field will look like. Other than that have fun. It is only one day in the life of the dog.
mttbgr
Pup
Pup

Postby mttbgr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits. I actually found out after my VJP to put food down and bring the dog up with your track command to teach him/her to put their nose down and they will be rewarded. Transfer this to rabbits once they get it. It is natural ability so work on the exposure but dont plan on just showing up with no prep. Dog must be solid on come to call. Expose also to all kinds of field cover, you never know what the search field will look like. Other than that have fun. It is only one day in the life of the dog.
mttbgr
Pup
Pup

Postby randomnut » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

I'd agree on the rabbit part. I drove several thousand miles at night last year trying to get my pup on some bunnies. They were nonexistent where I'm at, and the few you did see, you saw at night.

I took my puppy to Western Oklahoma about three weeks before VJP last spring. We tracked probably 10 rabbits that night and maybe 7 or 8 more he jumped the next morning.

Less than 20 tracks, and he scored an 11 on the track. Just took the bunnies to make it happen.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Let's not forget the judges will give you multiple attempts, especially at the track. I saw one DD get 5 attempts.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training