Sending your dog to a trainer

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Sending your dog to a trainer

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am

To answer OP's original question, no. After a bath the dog adjusted right back to the couch after getting back from the trainer. He doesn't seem to have lost any of his "house manners" either. He was kind enough to whine at my bedside tonight when he needed to go out, as he did have some GI distress last night.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mrelite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 am

AverageGuy wrote:mrelite,

That is a beautiful dog. Look forward to seeing more photos of him.

Thanks, photos is one thing I have a lot of!
Attachments
20170613_202914-EFFECTS.jpg
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby mrelite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am

JONOV wrote:To answer OP's original question, no. After a bath the dog adjusted right back to the couch after getting back from the trainer. He doesn't seem to have lost any of his "house manners" either. He was kind enough to whine at my bedside tonight when he needed to go out, as he did have some GI distress last night.

That's great to hear, lol not necessarily that he had a little distress!!
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby mrelite » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Trapper has been home for 2 weeks from 2 months of training, the main purpose of him going to training was to get him to hold his point. Since he has been back I have had the chance to get him on some wild quail, still not season yet so no shots being fired but he is holding and letting me flush the birds, it is so much better then before!

I want to continue training him to hold until the shot, most of the time I am by myself and he is breaking as soon as the birds are flushed, His first season is coming up! any tips on flushing the birds and keeping him steady without a second person, I don't want to condone him breaking but I can see that is exactly what is going to happen.

edit. I talked to the trainer and I know what I have to do and I will be correcting his behavior every time he breaks, I inadvertently gave him an opening and he took it, no more openings for him.
Attachments
20171011_092430.jpg
Last edited by mrelite on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby mrelite » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Here is another pic, he has been on fire, no quail is safe!
Attachments
20171009_165704.jpg
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Realistically when you go to shoot the first wild birds over him, he will very likely break. If you are alone trying to both gun the birds and handle the dog, he will have a whole head of steam before you can make a correction, which will require alot higher stimulation than had he been corrected on the first jump. Those are the reasons it is so much better/easier to have a gunner while you handle your dog, or someone to run the ecollar controller while you shoot.

Beautiful dog - Much fun/birds ahead.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mrelite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Realistically when you go to shoot the first wild birds over him, he will very likely break. If you are alone trying to both gun the birds and handle the dog, he will have a whole head of steam before you can make a correction, which will require alot higher stimulation than had he been corrected on the first jump. Those are the reasons it is so much better/easier to have a gunner while you handle your dog, or someone to run the ecollar controller while you shoot.

Beautiful dog - Much fun/birds ahead.

You are spot on and thats exactly what the trainer said, LOL you are also spot saying he will have a whole head of steam!! I kind of knew it would be hard by myself and I do agree that I should recruit a gunner so that I can teach this boy, I am pretty sure if I am right with him the lesson will be learned much faster plus I have plenty of time to hunt alone with him later, it's a long season.
Thanks
mrelite
Started
Started

Previous

Return to Training