Sending your dog to a trainer

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Sending your dog to a trainer

Postby mrelite » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 am

My EP who is 7.5 month old now is set to go to a trainer at 9 mths old, he has a very nice life right now, he is by my side the good part of every day, he is house trained, doest bark very often and is generally a quiet dog, he is on a very steady schedule, is really coming along to being an awesome pet and hunting dog.

When I bought him he came with 2 months of gun dog training and I recently went to visit the place, it is out in wide open rural NM which is great for teaching and letting dogs run and the trainer seemed knowledgable and in line with the way I have been training.

Does putting dogs in a kennel situation screw them up for being house pets? it looks like it could.

My boy has been by my side everyday, he has a great foundation for being a house dog, he has had a pretty cushy life at my house and after seeing other dogs worked and then my dog worked at the facility I am happy that I did a decent job of starting my dog to being a great hunter.

After seeing dogs in kennels the thought of him being in a kennel is a harder decision than I thought it would be.
mrelite
Started
Started

Re: Sending your dog to a trainer

Postby JASmith » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

My pup was back with the breeder for 5 weeks when she was just shy of a year old. I wouldn't say it screwed her up as a pet by any means. She came back exhausted, but after a few days she returned to her normal goofball self. :) She has been noticeable calmer in general though, but I chalk a lot of that up to maturing a bit also while she was gone.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Our 2.5 yr old WPG has been to a trainer twice, for a two month stay each time. This was the concession I had to make to my girls who didn't want him to go for four or five months straight.

He's a straight up house dog when we aren't hunting or training so I'm sure staying in the trainer's kennel was a shot of cold piss to his big heart. He definitely came back steadier in the field, but he had digressed in some aspects of basic obedience, which is understandable since I wasn't paying to have the guy reinforce heel, etc. This was nothing that I couldn't fix though.

To your other question, it took Bear very little time to settle right back into the house, like two minutes maybe!

I'm considering sending Bear to some advanced training at some point, and will also send our new Griff pup (11 weeks) to a trainer once he gets basic obedience and his first season in the field under his belt. I love working with our pups, but I also understand that they have the ability to be much better bird dogs than I have to be a bird dog trainer. I also think exposure to different techniques, personality, cover and lots more birds is a good thing.

I will say though that my wife and daughters were definitely upset with me both times he left!
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:50 pm

I have an 11 month old female Brittany at the trainer now. She's been there for 3 weeks and will be there a total of 2 months. She also is a spoiled house dog and we wonder how she will do in a kennel for 2 months and what she will be like when she returns. I truly feel it's harder on us than the dogs. Dogs seem quite adaptable and handle these changes quite well. My previous Brittany was sent off for 2 one month periods and it had no adverse effect on her and returning to her spoiled house dog life. Your EP will be just fine and so will my Brittany. And like someone else mentioned, they may actually come back a little more grown up.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gusto » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 am

Your dog will he just fine. Once he is turned on to birds and in training you'll be amazed at how fast they forget about you.
I had no problems with house training after bringing them back from a trainer.
Who in NM? My EP is from there
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mrelite » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Gusto, The parents come from Las Cruces, The sire's parents are Great River Ice and Rich's Honky Tonk Caddilac and the Dams parents are Wranglers Honky Tonk Joe and Wranglers Little Jo Jo and yours?

He has been on lots and lots of live quail around the house and when I took him out to visit the trainer he caught one of the pigeons and killed it, dumb bird wasn't fast enough. Garret's Gundogs is the trainer out in Grady NM

I just hope that after all this good dog conditioning I have done the kennel atmosphere doesn't undo it, if it does I will be on the wife's black list without a doubt, I hate that list!
Attachments
20170605_112704.jpg
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am

I'll let you know in a week.

My now wife had a really hard time leaving the dog. And, the dog was fine, in a yard with lots of other hunting dogs. The trainer tried to distract him when we drove off, but he sat at the fence and ignored the other dogs as we drove off.

Overall though, I'm sure he loves it. He's a social dog with other dogs a lot of the time.

I look at it like sending a kid to summer camp. Sure, they have to sleep in sleeping bags in wall tents, and don't get momma's home cooking, but they do fine otherwise.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:26 pm

A dog will love the one that feeds him meaning they adjust quickly. He will be fine...
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm

[quote="mrelite"]Gusto, The parents come from Las Cruces, The sire's parents are Great River Ice and Rich's Honky Tonk Caddilac and the Dams parents are Wranglers Honky Tonk Joe and Wranglers Little Jo Jo and yours?

He has been on lots and lots of live quail around the house and when I took him out to visit the trainer he caught one of the pigeons and killed it, dumb bird wasn't fast enough. Garret's Gundogs is the trainer out in Grady NM

I just hope that after all this good dog conditioning I have done the kennel atmosphere doesn't undo it, if it does I will be on the wife's black list without a doubt, I hate that list![/quote]

Ha, my dog is also out of Wrangler Kennels. Same parents as your dam. He's a great dog with a great nose!
You have a nice looking pup! Cody sell you that dog?
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mrelite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 am

A guy named Dwain whelped Cody's Dam then he donated a pup to the First in the Field org who auctioned the him off at the NM G&F banquet in Abq and Garret Gun dogs donated 2 months of training.
I agree, they have some great noses and a very strong drive!

Do you have a pic of your dog?
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby mrelite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 am

Double post
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 am

I should probably stay out of this but I'm hoping to help the people trying to make a living at this.
I'll start by saying that the dog already knows how to do dog things, like finding birds.
Have a list for the Pro that tells him/her what you need help with, better yet spend enough time with the trainer to show them your problems. Next show what you have taught the dog. Especially important I have found are skills "that he usually does this at home" often this is in the FF area.
Most important IME is arrange to have ALL the people who will be training the dog spend time with the pro before the dog goes home. The better the handler, the better the dog.
Remember that you are training the dog at all times, even when you don't think that you are, be consistent.
There are many stories the Pros could tell but they are in a tight spot, this is their livelihood, not me.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mrelite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Densa44 wrote:I should probably stay out of this but I'm hoping to help the people trying to make a living at this.
I'll start by saying that the dog already knows how to do dog things, like finding birds.
Have a list for the Pro that tells him/her what you need help with, better yet spend enough time with the trainer to show them your problems. Next show what you have taught the dog. Especially important I have found are skills "that he usually does this at home" often this is in the FF area.
Most important IME is arrange to have ALL the people who will be training the dog spend time with the pro before the dog goes home. The better the handler, the better the dog.
Remember that you are training the dog at all times, even when you don't think that you are, be consistent.
There are many stories the Pros could tell but they are in a tight spot, this is their livelihood, not me.

I have done just that, I visited the trainer with the dog and showed him where I was with him, we took the pup out in the field and the trainer got to see him do what he does, to my surprise Trapper did very well and the trainer seemed excited to start training him. We spoke for quite awhile in regards to how I want the dog to hunt for me and what to expect from 2 months of training, the trainer also showed me some of his techniques on another dog that was similar to Trappers level of training, it was a good visit and I have no doubt that my pup will come out of it with a good base of what I want!

I know that I need help to get this pup where I want him and that I don't have all the means or expertise the trainer does, I am okay with it. The worry I have (mostly my wife) is that the dog will come back with new hunting abilities coupled with bad kennel habits and I can't tell her definitively that it wont happen. I just wanted to see what others have experienced after their dogs return from the kennel experience.
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby gusto » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't know how to post pics on this forum since the new format.
My dog has lots of colour like yours and the same pump jack style tail.
Email me at chuckevol@hotmail.com and I can send some
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 pm

mrelite,

That is a beautiful dog. Look forward to seeing more photos of him.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training