training a pointer to flush on command

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: training a pointer to flush on command

Postby carramrod » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I have trained my DD to flush by basically just releasing him while on point once I get close. I need to work on steadying him more after the flush because the biggest issues is he can have a tendency to chase after flush some times if we're in shorter grass. It has helped me a lot not fumbling around and trying to get a shot off.

I trained him to be steady through shot and he is very cautious on birds relative to others I've been around. He's got a lot of point in him naturally so it was pretty easy for me to get him steady.

I still flush most of the time myself but it does come in handy in brushy areas or when I just can't kick the right area.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:33 pm

We learned together... on running birds she may relocate a dozen times before we flush a bird. Teamwork, tons of fun!!

https://youtu.be/lRvDNeLTDM0
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 am

Interesting thread...

I finally have a pup with a LOT of point. If she locks up its done until the bird has moved and she'll relocate.

Never considered the flush command.
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

I have a dog that tends to lock up pretty good. On running pheasants, a flushing dog would work better. I also was at the game farm and had a bird run. I tried to release her, but found myself walk/running after the bird while she stayed. Eventually she released, but I certainly see the advantage to having a (better) release command.

My dog will bark at coons, so at least I know if she on one of those.

I've tried to use "ok and go ahead" I make her wait to eat and release with these, but she hasn't made the connection yet (or I haven't done a good enough job of training it yet). I'm in the process of training "easy" to get her to walk in slowly and might give that a go also on birds. I'm hesitant to use fetch, but did use it at training on a wounded bird one time.
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:11 pm

I have an acquaintance who hunts with both a pointing breed and a flushing breed ... he says his spaniel goes in to the brush and roots them out where the pointer won't. I presume a Labrador would as well.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:21 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Interesting thread...

I finally have a pup with a LOT of point. If she locks up its done until the bird has moved and she'll relocate.

That's annoying when the dog points 75+ yards away... I love my relocating dogs.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

That's annoying when the dog points 75+ yards away... I love my relocating dogs.

I don't think I have ever had a dog that pointed birds from 75+ yards away, and if I did I would be looking to correct it. IMO a good dog will not establish point till it has a positive location on the birds and has put the birds in a position where they feel hiding is a better option than flying or running.
But then I suspect your dog probably doesn't point the birds from 75 yards away, he just didn't put enough pressure on them to keep them from running before he established point - this is the most common problem I see in "good" dogs in the field and I feel it is mostly a man made problem by over training the point in the dogs.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

I agree 100%!

I love my relocating dog, too. Which is why I was shocked by your response to my post, please re-read above. She gets as close as experience with the birds has taught her she can.

Kudos to your dog's Homeric nose, too.

Mine's nose is only average, but she uses it well.

Always a pleasure,

3ds
Last edited by 3drahthaars on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:35 pm

rman, all of my DD'S have been trained to flush, I hunt alone most of the time, tall hedges ,thick cover, if the dogs didn't flush I wouldn't shoot much.
If the dogs are on the opposite side of the hedge I click with my mouth and tell them to get them up. if I am beside the dog I tap them on the head and tell them to get them up.
Thankfully we don't have porcupines or skunks, just coons, the worst fight I have ever seen with a DD was a big male Otter, a lot of blood flying. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 pm

slistoe wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

I don't think I have ever had a dog that pointed birds from 75+ yards away, and if I did I would be looking to correct it. IMO a good dog will not establish point till it has a positive location on the birds and has put the birds in a position where they feel hiding is a better option than flying or running.
But then I suspect your dog probably doesn't point the birds from 75 yards away, he just didn't put enough pressure on them to keep them from running before he established point - this is the most common problem I see in "good" dogs in the field and I feel it is mostly a man made problem by over training the point in the dogs.

I think sometimes guys get so caught up in steadying that they don't let the pup figure the deal out. It stops at first scent, period.

After 3 screw ups, I finally let this pup be a pup and the results paid off... solid points, relocation when necessary on moving birds, can read her on singles vs. multiples or a covey.

Like Havelah Babcock wrote... takes birds to train a bird dog (not people).

Good post. Made me think.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Yeah no... I did nothing to encourage stop to first scent. What I DID do, was get a second pup early on in training, and I'd follow the dog that was on birds, let the other do their thing.

It takes a fair bit of wind, but Vegas will stick her nose in the air, and stop on a very non-intense point. When we catch up to her, she will walk you to the bird.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Sounds like slistoe hit the nail on the head...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Sounds like slistoe hit the nail on the head...

3ds

GPS don't lie. Wind birds at 150 yds and point at 75. You are welcome to come see for yourself anytime.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:21 pm

My other pup - we walk together to the bird. A dog on each side cooperating and pinning that old rooster is even better. Someday I will get the team on video.

https://youtu.be/IaOSM3nkXec
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 pm

This has been such an interesting discussion. Right now, I run 3 pointers, and one flusher. I've never had the flusher run in on a skunk, porcupine, or raccoon, but she did run in to flush a Great Horned Owl once in very deep cattail cover. I don't know which of us was the most surprised, the owl, the dog, or me. My pointers have pointed porkies before, but it was a soft point, and I knew it wasn't legit. The dogs looked almost apologetic about making the mistake. There are advantages, and disadvantages either way for pointers going in on the flush. Maybe the advice of never sending the dog in to flush unless you can see the bird is valid.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Training