training a pointer to flush on command

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: training a pointer to flush on command

Postby ryanr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:Sounds like slistoe hit the nail on the head...

3ds

GPS don't lie. Wind birds at 150 yds and point at 75. You are welcome to come see for yourself anytime.

My DD has a nose that's similar. Since he had caught so many birds early in his training I had a monster of a time steadying him and it took a lot of birds flying away. One day in training (after I launched several birds if he even moved an inch) he finally let me know we were getting on the same page when he stopped, on a dime, turning towards the bird's direction and locking up on point as soon as he hit the bird scent directly crosswind. My training partners both said "no way he's got that bird from there" and I said "look at where is nose is, I'll bet you can draw a straight line to where that bird is in the launcher." He didn't even want to relocate, just stood there intensely on point. We walked up about 50 yards, launched the bird and shot it. After the Fetch command released him he had that bird in his mouth in like 2 seconds!

When we hunt now and he's on point I will walk up and sometimes nod and say Okay when we make eye contact and allow him to flush the bird. However if he takes it upon himself to flush the bird I don't shoot and give him a "what did you do?" He usually corrects himself on the very next point.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:14 pm

My first thought would be pup pointing scent from a track, not necessarily body scent.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:24 pm

3drahthaars wrote:My first thought would be pup pointing scent from a track, not necessarily body scent.

3ds

Early in her second season, we were hunting a cut bean field with waterway all the way around and a slough on the end that's good for a rooster or two. Hubby had to get back to farming and I had to get to a tree stand, so we skipped most of the creek and parked near the slough. We were headed back to the car, and Ari pulls a 90 degree turn and heads straight across the bean field into the wind. When she gets to the other side of the field, she locks up as soon as she hits cover. I walked across and flushed 2 hens. GPS said the distance from where we were hunting to where Ari went on point - 170 yards. Absolutely zero reason to beeline across a cut bean field away from the direction we were walking unless she winded those birds. I never would have believed they weren't moving birds if it hadn't been a cut field she winded them across.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:03 am

3drahthaars wrote:My first thought would be pup pointing scent from a track, not necessarily body scent.

3ds

Could be but in Quade's case he's shown a real knack, on his own, for tracking runners or scent from a track until direct scent of the actual bird. And in the case of the planted bird, with the way we planted them and direction we started the dogs it was unlikely and when he's pointing intensely, tail up and not moving at all and his muscles almost quivering it always means "Bird here." When he's not sure or the scent isn't strong, his tail tends to move and his demeanor on point is not intense (he also does this when he's become bored with planted birds which is often nowadays.)
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training