Whistle suggestions

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Whistle suggestions

Postby Braque1223 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:25 pm

What whistle is recommended for pointing digs?
Thanks
Braque1223
Pup
Pup

Re: Whistle suggestions

Postby marsh » Mon May 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I do not use a specific type of whistle. Have trained my dog with pea whistles, pea-less whistles. All seem to work. Just make the commands the same and stay with it. IMO.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

The one that stays in your pocket.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:11 pm

The one in the pocket, is probably the right answer. I used to be blowing on a whistle all the time too, now I use the buzz on the collar and it is a recall for the dogs (I have 4) when she stars coming back if I want to give the individual dog a cast I just hold out my arm. That way I can handle all my dogs without recalling them all at once. A Fox 40 is a good whistle but it is in my pocket. You'll like the peace and quiet.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Follow Densa's lead.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Like a lot of others I have a dual tone whistle, pea for trill to stationary command and pealess for recall.

I don't carry it on a lanyard or in my pocket but on a short lanyard on my leash. And, I never take my dog anywhere without the leash!

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm

I also use a double ended whistle. Pea end staccato blasts for come, a single blast on pealess end for whoa. But I train "Come" to the tone on the ecollar so very seldom use the whistle. The less man made sounds I hear while hunting the better I like it. Shotgun excepted.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been using the Roy Gonia Special (http://www.gundogsupply.com/-021-.html) for as long as I've been training dogs. It was the first type of whistle that I got, and it's what I've stuck with. I've tried other whistles, but I guess I've been hearing the tone of this model for so many years that others just don't sound right to me.

I can certainly see the value of dual tone and pea vs. pealess whistles for training and handling dogs. But my whistle commands are so simple that I haven't needed it. Like others, I use vibrate on my e-collar for recall these days so I don't blow a whistle much unless I'm training young dogs or pups.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:54 pm

When I see a dog that hasn't been whistled trained I see a dog that has not reached its potential. If you have to handle a dog much over a 100 yards, yelling is much more annoying than a whistle.

I have never found a whistle to bother birds at all. For all they know it could be hawk so they hunker down. lice is much different.

With that said. Fox 40. No pea so they are much more difficult freeze. Not impossible, so i carry two and one is usually in my mouth. Not having the whistle available is like hunting with your shotgun in your pocket.

Train the dog and you will have to use the whistle rarely, and won't sound like an idiot yelling at the dog.

The fox is also very loud when needed.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am

blue04 wrote:I've been using the Roy Gonia Special (http://www.gundogsupply.com/-021-.html) for as long as I've been training dogs. It was the first type of whistle that I got, and it's what I've stuck with. I've tried other whistles, but I guess I've been hearing the tone of this model for so many years that others just don't sound right to me.

I can certainly see the value of dual tone and pea vs. pealess whistles for training and handling dogs. But my whistle commands are so simple that I haven't needed it. Like others, I use vibrate on my e-collar for recall these days so I don't blow a whistle much unless I'm training young dogs or pups.

+1 on the Roy Gonia. Cheap as chips, and they work great.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:12 am

I live farther north than most on this forum ... pea whistles work absolutely fine , unless all you do is spit in your whistle.

I am making a profound statement here , that most do not consider... have a backup whistle.
I actually have 2 whistles on my layard , and one in my emergency packet.

1 blast - stop
2 tot's - turn
1 blast, 2 tot;s - come back here.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 pm

woodboro wrote:I live farther north than most on this forum ... pea whistles work absolutely fine , unless all you do is spit in your whistle.

This has been my experience too. I've been using a whistle with a pea forever. I've hunted in some pretty nasty cold and wet conditions, and I've never had the pea freeze. I've had duck and goose calls freeze up plenty of times, but I've never had a frozen whistle.

If it's really cold, I'll keep my whistle and duck calls tucked inside my jacket.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training