Need help with wate intro

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Need help with wate intro

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm

If the duck fights, it can hurt worse by the dog. Taping is the most humane thing. Tell that to the snowflakes.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:07 am

I ran my dog in his NA test at shy of 9 months. At 7 1/2 months, I was struggling big time to get him to swim. The fact that it was winter didn't help much. The trainer I talked to (who I will be sending him to) and who had seen my dog in the field and he told me to get a (flightless) duck and set him on the pond. Rather than trying to run down a single duck I took him to a lake with Geese. We crested the hill, he saw the geese, ran down after them, chased them to the waters edge, stood there whining in the lake, and after a minute of back and forth, never looked back. He swam for 15 -20 minutes after those geese. I don't know if goose chasing is adviced with them having goslings now, but the duck idea might be your best bet.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby daeion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:08 am

Wife took the pup to the dog park yesterday and even though I've told her no throwing sticks, she decided to throw a good sized one into the pond and our pup went after it and swam about 20 ft out to get it and then brought it back. Now I know how parents feel when they miss their kids first step... Back to the park tonight with some bumpers to see if she'll repeat the swimming.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Training