Eating Bird

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Eating Bird

Postby Kiger2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 pm

3ds.

what if you just got lucky????
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Also how much drive and independence did you lose by teaching a command such as "Down" that would be a very likely command to inhibit independence?

Some day when you see a nice young dog swallow its first birds and then continue to do it, you'll see. Not all dogs are prone, can you tell me which ones are??????? Ive seen it twice. One fixed one not.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Kiger2 wrote:Also how much drive and independence did you lose by teaching a command such as "Down" that would be a very likely command to inhibit independence?

Some day when you see a nice young dog swallow its first birds and then continue to do it, you'll see. Not all dogs are prone, can you tell me which ones are??????? Ive seen it twice. One fixed one not.

Fielding your two sequential posts:

No, I didn't get lucky. I just understand the pups and how they're wired. I think that some of the other responses indicate that experience with these dogs shows that knowing how to read the pups is the key.

For mine, OB and gradually getting more control of the finish as the season progressed worked.

And, there was no detraction from independence... this NC dog can "roll".

Again, what a pup learns from that first season in the field is crucial! The confidence, independence, how to use its nose, how to handle wild birds... the "exposure" that is necessary to bring out the natural ability that is tested in the following spring... there is much more lost than gained.

If what you do works for you... so be it.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training