NAVHDA Green Book

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

NAVHDA Green Book

Postby gopokes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Have any of you trained dogs following this method? What did you think?
gopokes
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: NAVHDA Green Book

Postby bearded dogs rock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:09 am

The Green Book is a great book to have on hand. I use it for some ideas. The main book that I use now is " Training the Sporting Dog." Best book I have ever found for training a Versatile Dog.
bearded dogs rock
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:04 pm

I just ordered the green book today. I'll put up another post after I get it and let you know what I think.

I've used "Training Pointing Dogs" by Paul Long for years, and it's been a great book for me. Since it was originally written in the 1970s, it's a bit outdated in relation to e-collars since the technology has changed so much. I'm not a big fan of Paul's method for whoa training, but other than that I really like the book.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Blue, has the Green Book been updated recently? If not you may be disappointed with its content.
Vom Britt
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AzHusker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Vom Britt wrote:Blue, has the Green Book been updated recently? If not you may be disappointed with its content.

I don't think so. Pretty sure it's the original book by Ed Bailey and Bodo Winterheldt. It's an interesting little book - but certainly not detailed enough to base a training program on.

There is a DVD that goes with the book as well - it also is a little dated, but has some interesting stuff and some good looking dogs in it. Most of it is Bodo training Pudelpointers in basic bench stuff.
AzHusker
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm not sure about the last time it was updated. I'm actually not sure when it was originally written, but I had it recommended to me by two different trainers (one pro and one amateur) who have both trained NAVHDA Versatile Champions, so I figured it was worth a read.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Big Bird » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:46 am

The "Green Book" for $15.50 is still a good purchase and frankly if you have never trained a dog you should train with no electronics until you understand the techniques of training a dog.

another good read " Training the Sporting Dog" Smith / Jones has a little more detailed information on some subjects. Available at http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/home.php
Big Bird
Conserve Game - Hunt with a Trained Dog
Bracco Italiano -adding entertainment to a hunt
Big Bird
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:36 am

Big Bird wrote: frankly if you have never trained a dog you should train with no electronics until you understand the techniques of training a dog.

I could not agree any more with Big Birds quote and would add the ability to read a dog. I have seen more than my share of button pushers through the years who don't understand the various tecnniques of training and do not have a clue about reading a dog. Perhaps if they had spent more time on the back end of a checkcord perhaps they would have a better understanding. JMO.
Vom Britt
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AzHusker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 am

Big Bird wrote:The "Green Book" for $15.50 is still a good purchase and frankly if you have never trained a dog you should train with no electronics until you understand the techniques of training a dog.

I agree. Sometimes I almost wish people had to pass some sort of basic knowledge test before buying an e-collar. There is a reason they are outlawed in some countries. They are a great tool, and I'm glad we have them here, but training comes first.

The way I look at training books is that good training principles don't age. Occasionally, folks will come along with new ways to teach the principles, but the principles themselves are there and don't age.

Do any of your dog training books have teeth marks in them? :lol: Several of mine do...that dang glue they use in the binding must smell good. :crazyeyes:

(I'm watching the NAVDHA DVD right now and have to say it I'm very happy I bought it. It features Bodo Winterheldt - the founder of NAVHDA and the guy who brought the Pudelpointer to America. There is some fun dog work to watch on this DVD. Good basic stuff.)
AzHusker
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions