Garmin Alpha 100 + tt15 collar Simm Sensitivity

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Garmin Alpha 100 + tt15 collar Simm Sensitivity

Postby CZfan107 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 am

My friend has a Garmin Alpha 100 and said his stimulation levels changes with distance and cover . Does the Garmin alpha 100 + tt15 collar Stimulation levels change constantly as you move through Diffent types of cover ? Is this true or is there something wrong with his unit?
CZfan107
Started
Started

Re: Garmin Alpha 100 + tt15 collar Simm Sensitivity

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:22 pm

I have not experienced anything like that with my Alpha, 2 Mini collars and one standard collar, in 2 years of use in thick cover, wide open prairies and water.

How is it that your friend has determined this malfunction? If basing it on the dogs reaction it might be he is not using the long prongs and or does not have the collar tight enough and the collar is making inconsistent contact with the dog's neck.

I have found it very necessary to lock the gosh awful touchscreen once I have the buttons set as I want them, as without locking the touchscreen it is easy and common for inadvertent brushes to the screen to alter the button settings from what I originally set. I always check my button settings each time I turn the collar and transmitter on, and then relock the screen for that reason.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ReefWhooligan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Does he mean the settings change on the handheld? It doesn't change automatically but like AverageGuy said it's not too hard to inadvertantly change them if you are bumping or brushing against the screen.
ReefWhooligan
Pup
Pup

Postby CZfan107 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:09 pm

His dog was not resopnding some times and setting number stayed the same he removed collar and had friend stay on location he went 1/4 mile and formed his friend to hit button they were both on cells. He said the sim was not the same too low then he move again in a different location and it was higher. I was talking to him at a NAVHDA Clinic last week about GPS Collars and he told me what was happening with his . Just wanted to know if this was a known problem or isolated one .
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Isolated problem.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks Thats what i thought.
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby booger » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 am

That's interesting, I've often thought the stims I was giving were all over the place in terms of intensity. Some of that had to do with water. I use the linear stim (not the low-med-high) and normally my dog ranges from 2-4. I had her yelp a couple times at a 1, I've had her blow me off at a 5. I use the long prongs and would think I put the collar on pretty tight.

And I hate the screen sensitivity and changing the stim levels. Garmin badly needs to make some improvements IMO.
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby CZfan107 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm

[
I have found it very necessary to lock the gosh awful touchscreen once I have the buttons set as I want them, as without locking the touchscreen it is easy and common for inadvertent brushes to the screen to alter the button settings from what I originally set. I always check my button settings each time I turn the collar and transmitter on, and then relock the screen for that reason.[/quote]

Can't you just manually locking the training buttons to a number Not the touch screen ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEoTu99h6LU
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

That youtube has a 2012 date on it. The Map menu he shows is not how mine works. Accessing the manual training button lock on my 2 year old Alpha is through Setup and then Training Buttons. But it still requires locking the screen which I do by pressing the power button and the lock or unlock symbol in the lower left corner. All I want is the compass screen and so I lock the screen on the compass. Might be there are other ways but I just checked and mine has no button lock under the map menu as shown in that 6 year old youtube video.

The Alpha is absurdly complicated for the purpose of dog training and hunting. Garmin threw the kitchen sink in from their Oregon GPS is my take, which was a huge mistake. The menus and flow of programming is not at all intuitive compared to my Iphone, Mac laptop, or Digital camera. The manual is pathetic, and enough to piss a guy off for an $800 product. Help desk is pretty good.

I believe the Alpha could be alot better, but I still like the tool for hunting and having GPS on my dog has been a huge improvement.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am

AverageGuy Thanks for clearing that up for me. Just trying to get schooled on the Alpha. I think the Alpha would be a bad choice for a first pointing dog trainer like myself to train and hunt as one unit.
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:02 am

I like my Alpha for hunting. I use the mini collar and like that my dog has very little equipment hanging around his neck. Once I set the buttons and lock the touch screen I get along with the transmitter ok as well. You do not have to be looking at the touchscreen to operate the tone and stimulation buttons and I don't. Realistically when training I could quickly reprogram the buttons and have 3 different levels of stimulation which would probably work out fine as well. But I already owned a Garmin 550 and it is far superior for training purposes so I use it. I am not familiar with other GPS products so have not basis for comparison of the Alpha to them.

Prompted by your post/question, I looked around at reviews of the Alpha. They are far and away positive with the number of negative reviews being in a 10% or less population. I also joined a FB group specific to Garmin users and searched it for the problem you posted about. I did not turn up anything.

It has been suggested by others, the alternative of buying a used ecollar from the Collar Clinic and adding an Astro either new or used. That is another way to go. Two collars on the dog and two transmitters on me is a downside in my opinion and I get along with the Alpha ok. But it is an approach that might interest you. There are folks more patient and technical than I, who really like the Alpha and find the additional features very beneficial.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CZfan107 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 am

I Agree with double collars not good idea for me thats the reason research alpha . Im not ready yet as i will be getting my P/P puppy soon. I am the type of person that i have to know what i need before hand. Gives me a little time to save Maybe a little OCD to LOL.
Was wondering if Garmin will be updating their Alph 100 to another model being that they just had a 100 dollar incentive recently?
CZfan107
Started
Started

Postby booger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:11 am

I have the Alpha and if I had it to do again I'd get the GPS only Astro and the 550.

The bottom line is the concept is great, the execution is lacking IMO.

The top things that need to be improved:
the screen should only respond to touch of a finger, rubbing on my pant leg (or anything else) shouldn't result in beeps when locked or it going 5 screens away.
the lock screen shouldn't prevent changing stim levels, if possible stim levels should be able to be adjusted separately and changing levels should be quicker
the 2.5 second delay is too long
the battery level should show on the screen at all times like any smart phone
stim needs to be more consistent
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 pm

_
_

A word of caution about using the Lock Button function!....

The "Lock Button" terminology Garmin used is misleading. When the buttons are locked, the feature actually DISABLES the buttons from performing any function. To keep the buttons functional and prevent any changes in level go to: Set-up_Training_Training Buttons_Button Lock_and set to Manual. Then use the "Screen Lock" feature. I leave mine on the compass like AG and set the Screen Lock by toggling the Power Button. The buttons are still functional and the screen is locked to prevent any inadvertent screen or stim level changes.

If the "Screen Lock" feature is off, the "Manual" button lock function can still be set like the method in the youtube video. My model is a little different than the video but I suppose any software upgrade on an older unit would have updated the feature.

While not the best unit for training the Alpha is flexible enough a person shouldn't have any trouble finding a combination of screens and buttons to meet any situation in the field.

The 2.5 second delay has no correlation to the stim function. It is the update rate for the GPS tracking.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:_

If the "Screen Lock" feature is off, the "Manual" button lock function can still be set like the method in the youtube video. My model is a little different than the video but I suppose any software upgrade on an older unit would have updated the feature.

While not the best unit for training the Alpha is flexible enough a person shouldn't have any trouble finding a combination of screens and buttons to meet any situation in the field.

The 2.5 second delay has no correlation to the stim function. It is the update rate for the GPS tracking.

cr

My "Map" menu works nothing like as shown in that 6 year old video. More importantly, 4 layers deep when an option for "Button Lock" appears, selecting it disables the training buttons entirely. It does not "lock" the training buttons as set while also leaving them available for use.

I use the Setup Menu, Training Buttons set to Manual Lock and then lock the screen to get to where I know the training buttons are set as I want them but they are still operable, and no brushes to the touchscreen can alter the settings.

Clear as Mud now Folks?

Covey Rise, MissKiwi, a Buddy in SD are three persons I hunt with, and we all use the Alpha while hunting successfully and find the positives outweigh the negatives. Reviews echo that across a bunch of other folks.

But when I am into a stage of training where Stimulation is frequently used at varying levels based on in the moment responses from the dog, I strap the 550 on ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training