HERE training?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HERE training?

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

I have seen reference to the HERE method of training but can't find anything specific. I tried to search but it wouldn't due to HERE being a common word.

Getting a new pup and want to focus on whoa and come to start with. Any good articles or youtube videos that are recommended?
SERE Nate
Pup
Pup

Re: HERE training?

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Come and here are the same commands. Most people prefer HERE but there's really no difference.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SERE Nate » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Any issue with here and heal sounding so close to each other?
SERE Nate
Pup
Pup

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 pm

A whole lot of folks get by with those commands with no issue, but it is the reason I use "Come" instead of "Here". The Perfect Start DVD gives excellent instruction on teaching the command and then overlaying the ecollar.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 pm

SERE Nate wrote:Any issue with here and heal sounding so close to each other?

None what so ever. I have trained hundreds of retrievers using here. Every Pro I've been around used HERE. Now, when you think about it, the two commands, HERE and HEEL accomplish the same basic task.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 pm

"HERE" can be heard at a farther distance and has a more commanding sound to it than "Come".
My wife is Korean, and even with her accent, the dogs have no problem differentiating between Here and Heal.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

I break it downs to what the words mean to us and then teach them to the dog.

Heel. Means come to come to heel, no exceptions. Because when I need the dog to be at heel, I need him to be at heel.

Here, means come back to where I am or am hunting.

"hey", "wait up", when i just want to get their attention.

You cant use "here" when you want the dog to heel .

Doesn't matter what the command is, but you need to have a definitive command for "heel", versus "here".
Last edited by Kiger2 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 am

I say COME HERE. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Got it all covered. When he still blows me off, I quietly say "You SOB...get over here". That works every time .
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axel about it...

... the dog has to be HERE to heel, eh?

Once he's close enough to heel he's close enough to tell the difference between the two words if you can.

The dog that confuses the two commands is hard of hearing, lacks intelligence, or is blowing you off.

FWIW I use "here" for recall and "fuβ" German for foot (heel is "follow by foot", it's their command to heel. It's not to be German or cool. It's because it has a soft sound that doesn't carry when we're stalking or heeling under evaluation. I figure a dog that close doesn't need to be shouted at. Talk softly and carry a switch...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Kiger2 wrote:
You cant use "here" when you want the dog to heel .

But you can use heel when you want the dog "here".
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Ahh, heel is a whole different bag of tricks. I don't say anything to the dog. I just slip the choker he was trained to heel with and he just falls into place. The leash is optional depending on roads.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 pm

What I'm saying HC is that, yes, they are different commands and the dog should respond to each in a slightly different manor. If the dog is 100 yards away and you yell heel, the dog will come to your side, heel, turn and sit then walk at your side, head even with the knee. When I command HERE, the dog comes to me and usually comes to HEEL though I don't demand it unless I then issue the second command HEEL.The OP was concerned that the dog might confuse the two and my stand is, it doesn't matter. If the dog comes to heel when you command HERE, it usually doesn't matter. If you command HERE and the dog approaches and comes to you, he has completed the command.

My point to the other person is that the commands both start with H, it really doesn't matter which one the dog initially performs because either command brings the dog to you. At that point, he can be taught to heel or if you're handling him, stopped and cast. Doesn't matter. The result of either command is the same until the dog gets close to you. That's the way I see it and that's the way I teach it.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

GH, I dhoudnt use "heel" when I just need the dog to return to my area, is getting out area he should be hunting. More of a change of direction. I don't use here to get a complete return. The dog should only heel when told to heel, but should heel completely every time.

Yes its easy for the dog to learn the difference.

Hicntry,

"heel" is used to get the dog close enough to put the leash on. Whether you use a leash or not.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:14 pm

But I don't need the dog in a heel to put a leash on him. To put a leash on I just tell him "come here"

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 pm

We use HERE differently. When I command a dog HERE I DO expect him to come all the way to me unless I stop him but not to heel, though most of the time they do willingly and I certainly do not discourage that.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Training