Started Dropping Retrieves

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Started Dropping Retrieves

Postby daeion » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:33 pm

within the last week my 9 month old SM has developed a bad habit of dropping retrieves before finishing them. For example when I throw a bumper into the water she enthusiastically goes after it, grabs it, and then about 5-10 feet from shore she drops and comes back to shore. Thoughts?
daeion
Started
Started

Re: Started Dropping Retrieves

Postby blue04 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm

I would start with "hold" training so that you have some foundation for a command to reinforce this. This will also help if you decide to do Force Fetch later.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am

You need to fix this. She will drop a live duck one of these days and some of your excited friends may shoot, we don't want that.
FF will solve it forever, take your time and all will be well.

Jack O'Connor may he PIP wrote a column once about letters he had received and this was one of them. His factitious answer;" Q, my dog drops the duck 10 feet in front of the blind. What should I do? A, move blind 10 feet closer"

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:46 pm

You described this as happening on water retrieves... does it happen on land as well?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:You described this as happening on water retrieves... does it happen on land as well?

no, but on land she's also started to just lay down and chew on the bumper... She's goes off to training in a month and I was really thinking I had her in a good place but now she's regressing.
daeion
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Do not despair. Your pup can be trained to do the tasks you are requesting. Likely pretty easily. You can either defer to the trainer to work on it a month from now, or purchase a quality DVD training program, learn it and begin implementing it. Finding someone good and more experienced who can watch you working with your dog is always beneficial in my experience. You may not be able to complete the program before you send the dog to the trainer however and I do not know your comfort level in pursuing it yourself. Talking to the trainer you are sending the dog to would be a good next step I think.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Good suggestion AG.

I'm also thinking I would try trading the dummy for a couple of kernels of dry food (or liver bits or hot dog pieces) when she brings the dummy back. Start by throwing the dummy a few feet away and, when she picks it up, take it from her and give the treat. Very soon the dog will love getting the dummy and bringing it to you. If the dog drops the dummy at any time just wait her out... she'll likely then pick it up and deliver it to you because she is learning that no retrieve to hand, no treat. If she's a little bit hungry it works best.

That should get you to where it'll work on water as well as on land. One day you may want to force fetch her but I know a lot of folks get dependable retrieves without having to do a formal FF program.

Please let us know how it goes.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 am

daeion wrote:within the last week my 9 month old SM has developed a bad habit of dropping retrieves before finishing them. For example when I throw a bumper into the water she enthusiastically goes after it, grabs it, and then about 5-10 feet from shore she drops and comes back to shore. Thoughts?

Force Fetch
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 am

daeion wrote:within the last week my 9 month old SM has developed a bad habit of dropping retrieves before finishing them. For example when I throw a bumper into the water she enthusiastically goes after it, grabs it, and then about 5-10 feet from shore she drops and comes back to shore. Thoughts?

Force Fetch
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training