WIold Turkey experiment.

Share your recipes, cooking techniques, or camp side menus.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

WIold Turkey experiment.

Postby Chaco1 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:40 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just thought I would share with everyone a little experiment I tried with a wild Turkey breast that turned out excellent.

First go hunting get a Turkey.

Breast bird.

Take the breast and try to cut as much of the membrane off and clean it up as best you can.

Pound it out thin. I put it between two sheets of platic wrap to cut down on mess and pounded the heck out of it. When I thought it was done I pounded it some more.

Take the wrap off one side and put whatever you like with turkey on one side. Try not to put too much filling in it or it will not work for the next step.

I used Proscuitto (an Italian cured Ham) sliced as thin as they can at the store, Spices, (onion powder, season salt, salt, Pepper, dry parsley) chopped garlic and fresh spinach. Roll the breast up and wrap with Bacon.

We cooked it on the BBQ for approximately 45 minutes until it was at 170 degrees internal temp. I turned it so each side got browned but cooked it ostly on the bottom which gets a little wel done but was still good.

Let it sit for a good 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with whatever you ike with it and it really was good. My frined said it was the best most moist wild Turkey he had ever had.

My friend took the other breast and did the same thing with cranberries and they said it was really good.

You could also take the thigh meat de-bone it and do basically the same thing.

If it won't stay rolled up you can use skewers or tooth picks to keep it rolled up but I did not have to. It would also probaly be excellent done in a smoker.
Chaco1
Started
Started

Postby GSPmom+2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Hey Man,

Have tried both Recipes, had to use turkey from the store, but never the less it was good and the Tacos MMMMMMMMMMMMM
>GSPmom

Unless You are the lead Dog the View never Changes !
GSPmom+2
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: WIold Turkey experiment.

Postby Joe C. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 am

You could also use butcher's twine to secure the roll and just cut it off after cooking.
Joe C.
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Recipes