bad tasting sea duck

Share your recipes, cooking techniques, or camp side menus.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby MadMax » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm

You could also put the breast in a pot with milk, heat the
milk (not boiled) this will draw nearly all the blood out, pat dry
and cook which ever way you prefer.

MadMax
MadMax
Started
Started

Postby Chaco1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 pm

We go to a great spot it a long drive though at least 15 or 20 miles. I shot hundreds of doves there last year and was so sick of cleaning them and eating them. Good thing I can give some away at work.
Life without a dog is a life but it's not much of one.
Chaco1
Started
Started

Postby JC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 am

Chaco- arround here I just find a farm pond and sit at it in the evening- doves come in for a drink- not all that hard of shooting

rip out the insides, home I break the wings and rip back with a finger from the neck area- still not the best tasting bird-
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GSPmom+2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Yuck :shock: I think Dove tastes like liver, Mom made us eat it lots,it was cheap to feed like
S-stuff
P- posing
A - as
M- meat

I ate more spam in my life time just the smell makes me sick I know I am sure lots of love the stuff. But growinh up in the 60's Pop was in the service, money was tight so we ate what was on the table or you went without.
>GSPmom

Unless You are the lead Dog the View never Changes !
GSPmom+2
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Are you cooking themon the bone? WHy even mess around with them like that? just take a small sharp knife pull the skin back and cut the two little medallions of meat off. No mess no touching guts much easier and you don't have to proces them twice.

I also ned to correct something in my last post. It should read We shot hundreds of doves not I shot hundreds.
Life without a dog is a life but it's not much of one.
Chaco1
Started
Started

Postby Joe C. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Has anyone tried making gumbo? I do it with wood ducks and it's delicious. There are many recipes for duck gumbo, but my favorite ingredients are andouille sausage and shrimp. It's worth a try on the sea ducks!
Joe C.
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: bad tasting sea duck

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:20 am

How about using seaducks in a fish stew? (Boulaibaise (sp?!?)) As I'm here in southern Idaho I haven't shot a lot of sea ducks but a lot of the divers here eat fresh water mussels and have a strong fish flavor (or worse). I've been told to try and embrace the fishyness in divers by making a fish stew, using chunks of fish, shrimp (ala a gumbo) clams and the like. I might add I'm hardly a chef. I haven't done it yet, as duck season hasn't opened yet, but I'm going to try it.
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: bad tasting sea duck

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:33 am

Yuck I think Dove tastes like liver, Mom made us eat it lots,it was cheap to feed like
S-stuff
P- posing
A - as
M- meat

DOVE!

Crockpot, dove medalions, bag of frozen veggies, couple cans of cream-o-mushroom or chicken, slow setting and you got a nice hot supper waitin' for you when the chores are done.......leave the spam in the cabinet!

SPAM -What is with the "gel" in the can? Izzat some kind of industrial lubricant? Izzit edible? Safe? :D
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Recipes