bad tasting sea duck

Share your recipes, cooking techniques, or camp side menus.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

bad tasting sea duck

Postby gspdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 am

does anyone have any good recipes for sea duck. i hate to not eat something i shot but sea duck has got to be the worst thing to eat. i have tried to marinate it in a bunch of different things but nothing has worked. someone told me that you have to acquire a taste for it and if that is the case im not eatting it again. i dont think you can acquire a taste for sea duck. any suggestions will be tried. thanks
gspdog
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 am

what are you calling a "sea duck"?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 pm

A friend of mine from up around Seattle, shot a bunch of them last year but says he won't again for the same reason.

Personally, I've never shot sea ducks but I can't imagine anything worse than a sage grouse.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gspdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:46 pm

the sea ducks we have are your common ida's, black ducks, buffle heads, scoda's.
gspdog
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:13 pm

black ducks should not be confused with the others which are divers and is quite delectable but is prepared the same way.

also not being pricky but it is

eiders(my dogs name)& scoters.

use the same recipe i use for any duck, game bird.

skin and breast him out, as it is the rest of the bird, what we call dark meat on a chicken, that holds the strongest flavor.

soak the breasts in saltwater, i use kosher rock salt(you will find it in the market in the salt section)for 24 hours or at least over night.

do not skimp on the salt(1/4 cup to a quart of water) as you will not be drinking it. it is just to draw the blood out. blood is the flavor that most call gamey! :wink:

rinse and pat dry. use in any dish poultry, pork or lamb may be used in. even some seafood recipes.

wine, cream sauces and vinegarettes, will compliment the flavor.

cook no more than med rare. rare is preferred.

if you are looking for strait accross the grill or stove recipes try shake bake but coat the duck pieces with olive oil first and don't over cook!

try dixi fry on small strips, or skewer and alternate with shrimp, red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms or wrap small pieces of duck and jalapeno or pepperjack cheese with a piece of deli bacon. remove when bacon is done.

there is no limit. there is no Mcduck either so you will have to learn to read a cookbook and try some different things. :wink:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gspdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:39 pm

thanks for the tips. i live on the coast of Mass. to narrow it down we have both scoters and idas. will have to try these recipes out next year.
gspdog
Started
Started

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:19 pm

I guided some boys from the NE who swore sea ducks were pretty good with the breast fillets cut into strips, marinated in a z-loc with DeJon (sp?) mustard for several hours, breaded and deep fried. Can't vouch for it personally, but they said that's the ticket.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 am

common ida's, black ducks, buffle heads, scoda's.

let me apologize for the correction i made earlier.

i have a small fahm up in northern maine just outside caribou. i forgot the accent of the area, as it has been a couple of years since i have been there, and that.......
"eider and scoter" would surely be "ida and scota" in your neck of the woods.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hard to catch that "maynah" accent in written words but i should have seen it the first time! :wink: :wink:

ricks idea sounds great too.
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 am

Thinkin' you missed the accent 'cause you're "from away".
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gspdog » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:32 am

sorry for that. we do have our own language around here. when i go on vacation people know that im from the northeast.
gspdog
Started
Started

Postby JC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:51 pm

gspdog- merinate in salad dressing- Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian is good-

the vineger, and merinating for 4-6 hours cuts all the flavor and makes tough meat tender- works on tough old roosters

another recipe you might try is my Alaskan Sweet Burbon Duck
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:10 am

I have two ways to prepare it.

One is stuff it with apples and onion roast it till done using whatever spices you like. I like Garlic and salt & pepper.

The seconsd is to roast it on a plank. Use whatever spices you like and rub them all over very well.

After each is done you throw the duck away and eat the board or the apples. :D
Life without a dog is a life but it's not much of one.
Chaco1
Started
Started

Postby JC » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:17 pm

I don't know Chaco-maybe you be joking- we ate a few diving ducks in Michigan last fall- bone them out and pan frying they weren't to bad

I don't consider dove all that tasty, sort of like snow goose- but done right pretty good

Knew a guy who would grind up all his duck meat with sauces and stuff and use it like a sloppy joe mixture- weird-

partial to Bobwhite Quail- but we don't have to many these days
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chaco1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:20 pm

I am not a big fan of duck I like to make jerky or sausage out of it.

I like dove and what I do is bone it off the breast, I never clean a bird any other way. Take the pieces of meat and either cut them in half so they are bite size or leave them as is. Make some seasoned flour up, I put lots of spices in. Bread them and deep fry them til just done, trick to any game meat is not to overcook. They are excellent this way or with some hot wing sauce. Just little poppers.
Life without a dog is a life but it's not much of one.
Chaco1
Started
Started

Postby JC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm not a big fan of duck either- but I'll eat the ones I shoot- I bone them- sort of makes scense since I'm using light shot

we used to have really good dove shoots- set a lawn chair up and have my Britt sit- one time I ended up with 27

now your deep fat fry method sounds real interesting- I'll give it a try next time-

could limit out sitting in my back yard with my pellet gun :wink:
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Recipes