Leashed Tracking dogs in OK

Local, state, national, and international public policies as they relate to hunting, animals, dogs, and the outdoors. Act now to protect our rights and interests!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Leashed Tracking dogs in OK

Postby JTracyII » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:20 pm

I have worked to get the law changed to allow this to be done legally in my state. I wrote an essay/position paper and sent it to the chief of law enforcement at the Oklahoma Wildlife Department and discussed the matter with him several times. I also offered to give a presentation on the topic, which I never did have to do. All of the game wardens and wildlife officers I talked to on the matter were very nice and helpful. In addition, I must give credit to John Jeanneney as well who helped me with advice and guidance on how to get this done. He is the guy that wrote the book 'Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer.' It looks like those In Oklahoma will finally be able to use a leashed tracking dog to finding wounded deer. The way the law is written is not perfect, but you have to start somewhere. Here is the article that was in the Daily Oklahoman in the Sunday paper: http://www.oklahoman.com/article/553843 ... dea83b247a

My boy Finn bred by Mike Rathbun at I-80's Gundogs was featured in the pic of the article.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Leashed Tracking dogs in OK

Postby JONOV » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Congrats. The wide variation on laws involving deer and dogs never ceases to amaze me. At one end, you have states like North Carolina where you can run hounds for deer, and the other you have states like OK where you can't walk your dog and look for your deer.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Legislation and Laws