Deer Recovery

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Deer Recovery

Postby carramrod » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:58 am

AverageGuy wrote:It is so unfortunate when bad laws/regulations are passed. That one needs to be changed and deer hunters (particularly archery), are now in tune with the benefits of tracking dogs such that I expect there would be a lot of support for it. Meanwhile, there is always legal grouse, squirrel and coon hunting where a dog might just stumble across a dead deer that could be reunited with the hunter who shot it ...

It's a shame it's illegal in KS as well. Nothing against taking the dog on a walk through the woods on a 25ft lead though...

My brother hit a buck earlier this year (in MO) when it was warm still. He found one drop of blood about 50 yards behind me and just as the dog found the deer. Same thing, great shot with a high entry that lodged in the offside shoulder. We would have found the buck the next day by doing a grid search since it didn't go far (less than 200yds), but probably not that night. Saved a lot of meat by bringing pout the mutt. I'll use him any chance I get for blood tracking, even if I see it fall just for the practice. Having never used a dog for this, it was one of the most exciting things I've done with him yet.

Congrats on the full freezer, and wall art. Hopefully I can do the same in the last few weeks. I'm more looking for that 1.5 year old doe though.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Here in Orygun we cannot hunt big game with dogs but they can be used for game recovery. You cannot possess a weapon legal for the taking of the animal being recovered.

I would never let dumb laws get in the way of the ethical thing to do. Laws that prevent recovery and promote waste of a game animal are anything but ethical. The law its self would be illegal in Orygun.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 pm

It's illegal here as well. By chance I have found a couple of wounded big game animals when I was out bird hunting with the dogs. Luckily I was able to connect with the folks who were looking for these animals.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Hunting dogs - some mine and some owned by others are my Greatest Heroes. I just love it when a dog turns what would otherwise be an extreme disappointment into a high five celebration by locating downed game likely to be lost without them.

Carramrod - what you described is how my buck would have turned out had it not been for my Spuddy Buddy. I would have found that buck sometime the next morning after a high anxiety walkabout. And I would have missed church services on Christmas morning, either been late or completely absent seeing my Mother and Family that day and had to field dress a bloated stinking mess of a deer ...

Blood tracking is big part of why I went down the Vdog Breed path.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Your Photos