Chasing pheasants Texas style!

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Chasing pheasants Texas style!

Postby Texasphez » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:53 pm

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wanted to share some pictures of my 1 1/2 old PP getting it done on the high plains of the Texas panhandle. This pup is impressing me far beyond expectations! He is figuring out how to play this game far better and faster than I ever imagined. He is finding and pointing pheasants like a champ, holding his points, and retrieving birds to hand every time. This weekend he locked up solid on several different groups of birds, and worked running birds like a dream. Even pointing and tracking, then pointing and tracking until he got the birds pinned down for the flush.

Thanks for letting me brag, and hope you enjoy the pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Chasing pheasants Texas style!

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:04 am

Nice looking dog and shotgun. What is the SxS?

Looks a lot warmer than where we are hunting in SD at the moment.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Texasphez » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 am

Not sure on the shotgun, it was one of the guys hunting with me and thought it was prettier than my 1100 16 gauge I had with me that day.

I'm sure it most definitely warmer than SD is at the moment!
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:50 pm

4 degrees when we started hunting this morning but the wind was slight so it felt great.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Texasphez » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 pm

The PP's have been tearing it up on the high plains of Texas. My young dog continues to impress me every time we go out. Each outing he is learning more, and more. Learning to trust his nose, and how much pressure he can put on roosters, learning how to follow a track and recover running birds, and retrieving to hand every time. The last few days mom and sister have been here hunting with us, and it's been a blast to watch these two young dogs learn the game along with their mom.

image.jpg

Mom and sister on the left, my pup on right
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby azquailhntr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Beauties!!! Jealous to see the dog family in action and not be part of it!!
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby centershots » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 am

Absolutely enjoyed the photos! Congrats on some nice dog work. I hunted NW Oklahoma for about a month. That photo with the windmill looked exactly like some of the areas I hunted... only we were hunting bobwhites. Back to hunting in CA and Idaho now.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Texasphez, nice pics! Looks like a good time. Sherman sent me a pic of yalls hunt. I have a full brother to misty and case out of the second breeding. I will be out in the panhandle after Christmas.
Best regards-Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby seank » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Nice looking dog and shotgun. What is the SxS?

Looks a lot warmer than where we are hunting in SD at the moment.

The sxs is my 20 ga CZ Bobwhite. It was a special run with a hard chromed receiver that I got from a dealer in Wisconsin several years back. I was up hunting with TP the week before his hunt with Sherman. He is a very gracious guy, with a good head for dogs, and a pretty darned good young PP. I'm hoping to drag him out for a couple of public land scalie hunts in New Mexico in January.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Texasphez » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:05 am

Well thanks Sean, wish I could take more credit, but most of it goes to him being a very well bred dog. All I'm trying to do is give him plenty of opportunity to do what he is bred to do, with a little cultivation along the way.

Spencer, we really have to get a hunt planned and get Paisley in on the action!

Willie, sent you a PM.

AverageGuy, -3 degrees when we went out Sunday morning, but no wind so it was manageable. We went from a high on Friday afternoon of 72* to 13* with 30-40mph winds Saturday morning. That was brutal! Had some guys from Louisiana here to hunt that day, luckily for me they didn't want to stay out in that.
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Yea that arctic blast over the weekend was a deal. Got down to minus 22 here over the weekend. Was 20 degrees when I went out to do the morning chores the last two mornings and it felt downright balmy after the weekend. Sounds like your young PP is doing great. Nice group photo. Keep em coming.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Texasphez » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Well pheasant season ended here yesterday with kinda of a slow day. Had my brother down from Colorado Springs, he's a bit rusty on birds! The pup gave him a couple of opportunities but no pheasants were harmed as a result. It was fun to have him come, and we did bump into a few coveys of quail. I shot two bobwhites from one covey and a single blue from another.

image.jpg
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Your Photos