Chasing Roosters

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Chasing Roosters

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Hunted Quail 3 days last week and shot a few birds over points each hunt. Spud had 2 covey points and 4 on singles on the 3rd hunt. Had 3 birds down, 2 dead and one running cripple on the first covey rise, so had to ask Spud to hunt dead three times in a row and he came up with all 3. Shot two more birds on that hunt, one dead that moved and buried deep before it died and another running cripple. Spud recovered both of those as well.

Back after the Roosters this week.

Hunted with MissKiwi and her husband on Monday. Her dog Vegas put on a clinic working running late season pheasants. And we were treated to several beautiful points and backs between our dogs. Very enjoyable day all around. Thanks again Ma'am.

Spud and I hunted Roosters yesterday and got skunked but had a better go of it today. 10 degrees stiff NW wind, 3 inches of new snow and some thick tall CRP bordered by a corn field. 2 points, 2 shots, 2 roosters. Both points were 40-50 yards from me when the Alpha went off, both times the rooster had moved by the time I arrived. Each time, when my flushing attempts produced nothing, Spud worked forward cautiously and pinned the rooster down again for gimme shots.

Feeling pretty Blessed.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Dang!!! That second photo is outa this world... Black dog, white snow, colorful phez. Spud is da real deal....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 am

Having a hell of a season! Keeping it coming.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:54 am

AverageGuy wrote:
Hunted with MissKiwi and her husband on Monday. Her dog Vegas put on a clinic working running late season pheasants. And we were treated to several beautiful points and backs between our dogs. Very enjoyable day all around. Thanks again Ma'am.]

Next year maybe we will have some snow to keep those birds pinned down! Still wish I could go back and get video of those two working that back hill together, or the grin on your face when it was over!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 am

That looks like a blast! Well done spud.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby KJ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 am

Great photos!

Thanks for your dedication towards getting the most out of Spud.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks Kelly, Nothing but fun really.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Kelly. You make it easy for your pup owners.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Spud and I hunted a new permission spot yesterday. Big beautiful field of big bluestem, switch grass, indian grass, corn stubble on two sides, brushy fence row on the north boundary. Had a great 1.5 hour hunt, 16 points, one covey of quail, 10 hens and 5 roosters. Spud pointed the first two roosters along a brush creek fence line and I had no shot on either bird. I did not like the shot angle relative to the Spud on the 3rd one so let him fly. The next two roosters were easy shots, for 2 shell limit after long track and point pursuits zigzagging all around. Took a photo of where we were hunting.

Hunted another new permission spot today with a couple of new friends since moving up here. Had a great hunt. Spud got two roosters and multiple hens cornered and pointed, 2 coveys of quail and several singles. One new friend got completely handcuffed with his shotgun mount on the first rooster and by the time he shot the rooster was getting out there. Knocked him down but head up and gone in the tall grass. Spud and I headed immediately to his mark and when we arrived I saw Spud put his nose to the ground and take off running 90 degrees to the side immediately disappearing in the grass as he did. Wasn't long and we saw him running back with the live rooster. Did the same on the 2nd one. I tried to get some photos but it is not easy in the grass. Hope you enjoy.

Spud Pointing a Covey

Spud worked that rooster all around. Looped it around and went back behind us where we had just walked through and pinned him down. Just as he did the Rooster went up and my New Friend on the end there shot him with a #8 quail load, wounded down into the grass. Spud raced to the fall immediately and came out of the cover in short order running to me with the live rooster as I snapped photos.

Spud was getting pounded in the face by that rooster as he ran blindly to my voice.

Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks for taking the time to share the stories and photos. Great stuff!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am

Great stuff! That's some real nice pheasant cover. And, no snow.

Here in balmy NW Oregon, we've had snow for several days, the same ten inches we started with, not melting. Yesterday when I got up, it was 10, today it's 13, warming trend on the way.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:54 am

Our snow came and went. Ice with more Ice coming at the moment.

Was 15 degrees with a stiff North Wind the last 2 days, so perfect conditions other than some snow would have been even better. Such a benefit to be able to see tracks as you hunt and learn if you are hunting the right or the wrong spots. Especially when hunting new properties, which has been our entire season this year, having just moved up here.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Your Photos