Spud's First Trip to ND

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Spud's First Trip to ND

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Spud and I spent the last week hunting Sharptails and Ducks in ND. Great Trip. At 8 months Spud learned a lot and we had a ball. I carried a Nikon Coolpix and took a lot of photos. Hope you enjoy.

Spud and I stopped to stretch our legs at a WMA and he nailed a group of 6 pheasants in very short order. Hope to see a lot of this in the years to come.

First Day, Spud's First Pointed Covey of Sharptails and First Grouse Retrieve.

We did some Jump Shooting on Ducks as we drove to different drops for Sharptails. Here was one Retrieve.

We scouted out a large lake and got permission to duck hunt on it. Was 35 degrees and 30+ MPH Winds. I took this video to demonstrate the wind.

My Hunting Buddy took a cell phone video of one of Spud's First Retrieves on that Hunt.

This Teal Fell About 70 Yards out in the Whitecaps.

Same Retrieve Zoomed in.

Were heading out for Sharptails when we spotted a Moose. Saw 3 Bulls and got some photos.

Eventually we moved on to more Sharptail Hunting. It was tough. The weather was mid 30s with 30+MPH wind so the grouse were not holding. And they had been hunted for 3 weeks before we arrived and the numbers were down to boot. Spud did get to retrieve a full limit one day. This photo is the first bird on that limit.

We hunted a short day the last day. Spud got maximum training value out of the those two grouse all around. I knocked the first of the two down but it came up running, meanwhile Spud was in full pursuit of one of the other birds that flushed on the covey rise. After giving him enough fun I toned him and he swung around and came running back at top speed. As before it was 30+ MPH wind. I motioned with my hand to the fall and told Spud to hunt dead. He worked around and in short order started working down a track for about 30 yards and went on point. He then broke and tracked another 20 yards and went on point again. As I closed in, he pounced in, the grouse flushed and Spud snatched it out of the air like a bobcat.

So the second of those two grouse offered Spud yet another great training experience. We were working a 30MPH crosswind on the lee side of some hilltops where the grouse will sit to get out of the wind. Spud was searching ahead when he turned into the wind and snapped hard into a head high point. I had not taken 5 steps towards him when several grouse went up, Spud broke and was in hot pursuit. A straggler then flushed and swung by me at a long 45-50 yds. I was shooting a 12 ga with mod choke and golden pheasant nickel plated 6s. Hit the grouse twice, it rocked hard but then righted itself and rode the hard wind out of there. I watched as it grew smaller and smaller, and at approx 250 yds it fell dead from the sky. I marked the highest hump of land directly underneath where the grouse fell and started marching towards it. Spud swung around and joined me. When I crested the high landmark, I saw what looked all the world like a dead bird floating in the large prairie lake below about 75 yards out from the shore. Spud and I walked down to the shore edge, I found a rock and made a horrible throw which landed only 20 yards out but at least it was in line with the grouse. Spud entered the water headed towards the splash and I looked for another rock I was sure was going to be necessary. As I did I looked sideways to see what Spud was doing and he was continuing on out to sea looking ahead as he did. I gave a silent high five to myself when Spud planed out and starting pulling as hard as he could go having spotted the floating grouse well ahead. I grabbed my Nikon out of game bag and zoomed in, then zoomed out to give a true perspective of the distance. Over the top proud of my puppy.

Got the grouse and heading in.

Hitting the bank.

Scenery was some of the Best.

My Favorite photo of the trip.

Thanks for letting me share.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Spud's First Trip to ND

Postby carramrod » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Awesome trip. Depressed I'll be missing out on a trip there this year.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Great photos, thanks for posting. Spud is looking good. He might turn into a real huntin' dog someday.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 am

Awesome all round! Great shots and looks like an excellent time hunting! Keep um coming.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Go Spud... :) Great trip!
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Thank you Gentlemen. It was a blast.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Moose in North Dakota? I had no idea.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:06 pm

I saw one just West of Watertown next to the freeway.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:01 am

blue04 wrote:Moose in North Dakota? I had no idea.

Not a great photo but look in the right edge. I got two bulls in this photo. There was a 3rd, and largest of the 3, bull in the distance that I did not get any photos of. Very exciting bonus to the trip for sure.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GSP_LAC » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great trip!
GSP_LAC
Started
Started

Return to Your Photos