Spring training evening!

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Spring training evening!

Postby SMAbby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Took a PACK out with me to train the other night. On board were 10 month old Lenny, a German import owned by a friend. 2 year old Eva, a pup from my kennel, owned by same friend, 6 year old Max, German import from my kennel, 14 month old Brooke, Daughter of Max, 4 year old Baja, German import from my kennel and the Old lady, 11 year old Abby the wonder dog!

We just wanted to get the dogs out to knock the dust off of them. We were also exposing young Lenny to a rabbit track as he will be running his VJP very soon.

We started the day of with Lenny. He was a little reluctant to search because of his interest in the bird bag I was carrying. But when he hit the scent!!!! Boy howdy did he hit it!

We launched the bird and sent him on hiis way. This time, he was less interested in my bird bag and more interested in the search. It wasnt long before he hit his second point with the same style!

Next we moved on to Eva. SHe has a very animated and intense search.

I actually launched the first bird on her. I dont hink she hit scent and ignored it, I think she just didnt hit the scent before getting to close. WOuld rather premature launche then launch to late. But, it woke her up and she settled in to her search again. Second bird was much better.

Next up was my man Max. You can see from the picture where Eva gets her search from...

When he encountered his bird he held a beautiful point, the angle of the phot takes away from it though. :-(

Next up is my heart breaker...Brooke. :-( I just sold this dog and am kicking myself. She did just a very short search as I just had her spayed and didnt want to injure her. I was going to run her with a checkcord, but couldnt bring myself to do it. LOL This was her first bird.

I turned her loose again and in no time she found her second bird.

Next was my wild child, Baja. Planning on running her in VGP this fall. Her first bird showed I have some work to do. She gave a brief point, then decided to play the odds and lost.

Second bird was much better.

And last but not least, Abby. She is now 11 and is doing great! She is having surgery for some tumor removals before hunting season. But everything else says she is a 5 year old. :lol:

Hope you all have enjoyed the pictures! It sure was good to get out!
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Spring training evening!

Postby jlw034 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:08 am

Smabby's back!

Love the photos, beautiful pooches.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:11 am

Looks like a great evening; nice photos. You do have quite the pack now.

On another note, did you send a pup out west to CA? I saw a young female SM at the kennel/trainer yesterday when I dropped my dog of to be boarded for the week. I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner but I thought I heard him say the pup was from Iowa. Can't be that many SM breeders in Iowa I would think...
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Welcome Back SMAbby . Great Pics ...
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby bullfrog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Awesome pics. I'm going to do some training tonight with some friends. You inspired me to bring a camera :D
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:39 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Looks like a great evening; nice photos. You do have quite the pack now.

On another note, did you send a pup out west to CA? I saw a young female SM at the kennel/trainer yesterday when I dropped my dog of to be boarded for the week. I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner but I thought I heard him say the pup was from Iowa. Can't be that many SM breeders in Iowa I would think...

No, no pups in CA. As far as breeders in Iowa, I think there are atleast 5 maybe 6 breeders here. I have one 10 minutes from me. It is a mixed bag of SMCNA bred dogs, KLM-GNA and now breeders using only NAVHDA as a registry. :-/

Thanks for the replies. It felt really good getting out. I need to get to work on Baja for VGP. I think my main focus areas will be steadiness and blood track. I THINK she has everything else in the bag..................famous last words right? :lol:
I am also on the look out for another pup. That has been a pain in the butt.

Bullfrog, good luck with your training. Post lots of pictures...
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:21 am

~
Nice job Mary.....!

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks CR.:-)
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Glad to see the gang out and about! All look like they're coming along. Good luck with VGP!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Deuce wrote:Glad to see the gang out and about! All look like they're coming along. Good luck with VGP!

Thanks. Im not quit as confident this time around now that I have seen the things that can go wrong! With Max, I was just kind of dumb to it all. I just went with everything. Now, I freak about everything!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from everyone doing some training very soon!
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Your Photos