A NEW PRESS RELEASE FROM DIAMOND BRAND FOOD

Recalled dog foods and related-products

Moderator: Moderator Pack

A NEW PRESS RELEASE FROM DIAMOND BRAND FOOD

Postby Blue Weim Mom » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:58 am

This is a cross post from another board.
I thought I'd be sure it was posted here as well.
Best wishes & Happy New Year

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FRIDAY, DEC. 30, 2005

Mark Brinkman

Food & Drug Protection Division Diamond Pet Foods

(919) 733-7366; (919) 280-1497

(573) 229-4203

Diamond brand pet food recall expanded; Commissioner Troxler urges pet owners to return recalled pet food to stores, consult veterinarians if animals are ill

RALEIGH - A multi-state recall of Diamond brand pet food has been expanded after additional testing by the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Food and Drug Protection Division lab turned up high aflatoxin levels in a batch of dog food that was not previously part of the recall.

The NCDA&CS Veterinary Division lab reports show that seven dogs have died with signs of liver damage that may be consistent with aflatoxin poisoning.

Diamond Pet Foods Inc. expanded its voluntary recall to include 40-pound bags of Diamond Pet Foods Professional for Adult Dogs with the Best By code of "Best By 29-Jan-07."

In total, 19 varieties of Diamond brand pet food produced in its Gaston, S.C. facility have been recalled. For a complete list, go to www.diamondpetfood.com.

The Gaston lot codes are unique from other Diamond facility codes in that either the 11th or 12th character in the code will be a capital "G." The range of lot codes that were part of the initial recall are "Best By 01-March-07" through "Best By 10-June-07."

The latest test results have prompted Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler to reiterate his request that pet owners take this recall seriously. "Pet owners who have purchased this food should check the bag closely for the Best By dates," Troxler said. "If you have any of these products, do not feed them to your pet. Return them to the place of purchase. If your dog or cat shows signs of illness, contact your veterinarian immediately."

Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring toxic chemical produced by a fungus that grows on corn and other small grains. Aflatoxin poisoning primarily affects the liver and can be fatal. Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include lethargy or sluggishness, anorexia, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and yellowing of the eyes.

The NCDA&CS Food and Drug Protection Division continues to collect and test samples of the recalled product as well as other batches of Diamond Pet Food since the initial recall on Dec. 20. Field inspectors have been canvassing the state to make sure that retailers are aware of the recall and that none of the recalled product is still on store shelves. In addition, the Veterinary Division's diagnostic labs continue to conduct necropsies on dogs that may have eaten the food involved in this recall. The NCDA&CS is also continues to work collaboratively with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in addressing this multi-state recall.

-bal 2-
Blue Weim Mom
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:34 am

I have been a loyal Diamond user for several years, but since this recall I haven't been able to find any in the stores because the MO plant is sending all of their product to the East coast. If I don't find a couple of bags of Diamond Performance today, I will probably have to switch brands. :x
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby db7 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:11 am

I understand that Diamond supplies Costco their private label Kirkland brand dog food. Anyone know if this safe?
Humans have televisions. Pointers have birdfeeders
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby db7 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:55 pm

I sent an inquiry to Diamond and got an email back, the Kirkland brands are OK.
Humans have televisions. Pointers have birdfeeders
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mattoleriver » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:26 pm

dbl7 wrote:I understand that Diamond supplies Costco their private label Kirkland brand dog food. Anyone know if this safe?

I emailed Costco and asked if any of their foods were affected by the recall and received this response on 12/26:

Dear George,
Thanks so much for emailing Costco wholesale.
The recall did not include any Costco products. It is the same company
that make some of ours product but not pet food sold in our Costco were
recalled.

Sincerely,

Grace M.
customerservice@costco.com

With confirmation from both Diamond and Costco I'm feeling confident that there is no reason to worry about the Kirkland brands.
George
mattoleriver

Kirkland Food

Postby MikeB » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:10 pm

If I recall the Kirkland brands chicken/rice and Lamb/rice have no wheat, soy or corn in them. Maybe that's why.

Also Diamond makes Nutra Nuggets Lamb/rice sold at Costco too, must not affected either.
MikeB
Master Poster
Master Poster

thanks for the update

Postby ano » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Thank you to those who posted the Diamond dog food alert.
I had just started feeding my dog Diamond Performance because of all the good things people had to say about Diamond dog food on this website. Me and my dog are among the unlucky ones who have an infected bag. So far it has been $200 on vet bills and medication and he will need to be retested in 2 weeks. What a mess. I feel bad for all of those who have lost their dog/dogs or whose dogs are seriously ill.
Thanks again for the alert and all the information. This was the first I heard of it.
ano
Started
Started

Diamond Refund

Postby ano » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:20 am

FYI. I just recieved a refund check for $385 from Travelers Insurance Co. (Diamonds insurance co.) to cover the cost of vet bills and medications. It took 5 months of wrangling with the insurance company but they eventually paid the full amount. Travelers said they would not pay for the food but I could contact Diamond. Diamond refunded me for the food in less than a week when I contacted them.
ano
Started
Started

Return to Recalls