Conformation Requirements in the VDD-GNA

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Conformation Requirements in the VDD-GNA

Postby JONOV » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 am

I have what I think is a reasonably good understanding of the performance standards for breeding a dog in the VDD-GNA.

What I don't understand is what is required from a conformation for the organization to breed a dog. What does the VDD require before approving a breeding? Teeth, coat, bite, etc?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Conformation Requirements in the VDD-GNA

Postby huntinmo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:57 pm

JONOV wrote:I have what I think is a reasonably good understanding of the performance standards for breeding a dog in the VDD-GNA.

What I don't understand is what is required from a conformation for the organization to breed a dog. What does the VDD require before approving a breeding? Teeth, coat, bite, etc?

Attendance at a breed show after 15 months of age is required. Approval (since you asked about approval) requires rating of at least sufficient. Recommended (ZR#) requires rating of at least good.
Conformation: Teeth – none missing other than p1, narrow based lower canine is not acceptable. Bite - Scissors preferred, plier acceptable.
Eyelids close lying, Color of iris some shade of brown.
Shape of backline and croup is important (to the movement of the dog when hunting).
Size as measured at withers should be within breed standard.
Testicles (Male) must be normal.
Temperament well balanced, Character self confident (nervous, aggressive (to people or other dogs) or fear biter are not acceptable.
Coat: medium long, dense, hard, and close lying are preferred, less desirable would be thin, wolly, open, or missing. Beard well defined is preferred, furnishings required for ZR#.
Color – Brown with ticking, Black with ticking, solid Brown or Brown with breast fleck are normal, some variations are acceptable and some are not. Large pure white spots are not acceptable.
Disclaimer: This is of course not all inclusive!!
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:38 pm

huntinmo wrote:
JONOV wrote:I have what I think is a reasonably good understanding of the performance standards for breeding a dog in the VDD-GNA.

Attendance at a breed show after 15 months of age is required. Approval (since you asked about approval) requires rating of at least sufficient. Recommended (ZR#) requires rating of at least good.
Conformation: Teeth – none missing other than p1, narrow based lower canine is not acceptable. Bite - Scissors preferred, plier acceptable.
Eyelids close lying, Color of iris some shade of brown.
Shape of backline and croup is important (to the movement of the dog when hunting).
Size as measured at withers should be within breed standard.
Testicles (Male) must be normal.
Temperament well balanced, Character self confident (nervous, aggressive (to people or other dogs) or fear biter are not acceptable.
Coat: medium long, dense, hard, and close lying are preferred, less desirable would be thin, wolly, open, or missing. Beard well defined is preferred, furnishings required for ZR#.
Color – Brown with ticking, Black with ticking, solid Brown or Brown with breast fleck are normal, some variations are acceptable and some are not. Large pure white spots are not acceptable.
Disclaimer: This is of course not all inclusive!!

Thank You! That pretty much answers my questions. ZR#...is that an indication that it is "recommended " for breeding as opposed to simply "approved?"
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby huntinmo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm

JONOV wrote:Thank You! That pretty much answers my questions. ZR#...is that an indication that it is "recommended " for breeding as opposed to simply "approved?"

Yes, and required for a "Performance Breeding"
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:27 pm

huntinmo wrote:
JONOV wrote:Thank You! That pretty much answers my questions. ZR#...is that an indication that it is "recommended " for breeding as opposed to simply "approved?"

Yes, and required for a "Performance Breeding"

Performance Breeding...
Is that an official term? I've heard it bandied about but I always took it along the same lines as "field trial lab," that it was just a term with little backing it up except high scores from the parents... I take it it has an official meaning?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby huntinmo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 am

JONOV wrote:Performance Breeding...
Is that an official term? I've heard it bandied about but I always took it along the same lines as "field trial lab," that it was just a term with little backing it up except high scores from the parents... I take it it has an official meaning?

Yes, when both parents have successfully completed VJP, HZP, VGP, and are registered in the Breeding Register (with a ZR#), pedigrees (Ahnentafeln) of the pups will be stamped by the Registry with "aus auf Form und Leistung geprüften Eltern" on the front page.
IMHO this is something that is highly desirable when I am looking for a new pup. 8)
huntinmo
Started
Started

Return to German and European Testing Systems