VJP-Pointing, A Question

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: VJP-Pointing, A Question

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:31 am

Sometimes I think training does more harm than good, and in an ideal world we'd have enough wild birds that natural ability is all we'd have to judge. Unfortunately, some areas just don't have that luxury.

There's two dogs in our training group that likely won't point this weekend. They were hunted, but the warm winter had pheasants running hard, and both dogs are running birds instead of pointing them.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 am

I agree. I want my pup to do good, but I just don't think he's got it. I'm not going to train him trying to pass, he's had plenty of opportunities to figure it out on his own. I'm not saying he's not going to make a hunter, it's just going to take more to get him there.

As I've mentioned before, my older dogs did well at their VJP, in SPITE of me. So many times I screwed up trying to get them on birds, and they caught a lot, but still figured out pointing long before season was even over.

Once again, I do appreciate all the information.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Duckdon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 pm

woodboro wrote:
Duckdon wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:I use good flying pigeons in launchers because they fly away and do not land where a dog can chase them to ground like too many pen raised birds do. I launch the moment the pup indicates it smells the bird.

x3
I assume you are steadying with a check cord. Pigeons ate 100X better than pen raised game birds for initial training and they are cheaper if you need lots of birds. I have my own Homer pen.
Have a look at my Kennel Facebook page and the videos I have posted on working dogs on steady in the yard. Some birds are on a line, some free flying.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennels.
I do a ton of "de-sensitizing on young dogs to get them to steady if needed. This is Birds in the face work. This is an everyday training event, in the yard, until they will be reliable and stand.
Good luck.

FYI: If your dog is not ready for the VJP, just don't run him. If you decide later to breed you will need to get a Hare Track done and the VGP. If you don't plan to breed, what does it really matter?
Don and Crew

If your a member of a breed club , you are not promoting a club , by advising a member to not run a dog.
I think you better start reevaluating what your club represents, and if does not fit your needs , quite the organization.

Explain? I miss your point completely.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to German and European Testing Systems