Alerting on wound beds questions

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Alerting on wound beds questions

Postby Jared77 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Saw this mentioned in an older thread on this board and was hoping to learn more about this.

I am familiar and have trained Schutzund tracking dogs before and they always used "down" as an alert. Is down or halt! used the same way?

And are there measurements or specific criteria that define a wound bed for testing? Overall size amount of blood left there? Ground disturbance etc?

This is for a future dog (still in the planning phase of what breed and from what kennel) so any additional info or resources would be greatly appreciated.
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death
Jared77
Started
Started

Re: Alerting on wound beds questions

Postby woodboro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 pm

down and Halt or what ever your command to stop the dog , to allow a shot at game , but it also obviously is a command to halt
the dog from danger to the dog....

wound bed in a test format , is a disturbance to an area where a simulation of an animal came to rest, hense a small amount of blood
is dispersed to show a wounded animal.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 pm

woodboro wrote:is a disturbance to an area where a simulation of an animal came to rest, hense a small amount of blood
is dispersed

I guess the wording is open to interpretation, but I've seen many real life wound beds from deer and other big game. I wouldn't have characterized any of them as having a "small amount of blood". Virtually every wound bed I've seen had quite a lot. So much that I'd describe it as "puddles".
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntinmo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 pm

The question was about "a wound bed for testing" and since there is a limited amount of blood available by regulation for the entire track including the wound bed it is not likely that there would be any "puddles".
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby Jared77 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:20 am

The wording I'd seen was pretty vague. I'm used to pretty set parameters on items that would be left on a track. For example it would say what materials were acceptable, as well as their dimensions.

I had read it may only for example 1 cup of blood to be dispersed over the track. Is the amount ised to create the wound beds included in that total 1 cup? Or is it 1 cup on the track plus enough to create a wound bed?

I've seen wound beds before when I have tracked deer before but I've never used a dog to do it.

I just want to make sure I understand the rules and expectations for the test.
Jared77
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

The wording is vague... the PO is mainly a guideline.

Used to be a relatively large puddle of blood in a scraped out area.

I've seen none to a lot of blood used depending on the OR's interpretations at tests.

Suffice it to say... it is naïve to think that EXACTLY the amount of blood specified in the PO is used on a track... the track ALWAYS gets completed with blood to spare... Nuff said!

As for indicating the wound bed... any way that works is ok. If your pup lies down on its own, does a happy dance, or you just happen to see it as you get tugged past with the lead.

Don't get too caught up in the details on this.

And, remember at least 3 sets of foot tracks lead your dog down the 4-lane hiway! Blood tracks, especially the day track are an Obedience exercise...

Good luck,

3drahthaars
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jared77 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I appreciate your help on this 3drahthaars. I'm so used to highly regulated tracking standards I expected the same sort of thing.

Looking forward to this next venture
Jared77
Started
Started

Return to German and European Testing Systems