Squirrel hunting

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Squirrel hunting

Postby woodboro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:16 pm

I have yet to start my 2 year old on squirrel hunting.
How do you do it ????????????????????????

I typically make a stand with a dog , and he does the retrieving.
But I know of only one person that had a dog tree them.
Wonderful eating game, if you know how to do it.
thoughts .....
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Squirrel hunting

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:42 pm

I have had 2 GWPs that took to treeing squirrels on their own. Exposure in timber with lots of squirrels on the ground and in the trees was all it took. Once they show interest if you shoot some squirrels out to them they will take off from there.

I have raised a couple of good hounds which I squirrel hunted in the daylight and coon at night. Same as above. Just took them to the timber from a young age and they started on their own.

I have also made very sparing use of teasing a pup with a dead squirrel and putting it in a low fork of a tree and encouraging it to bark up. But a little goes a long ways with that as it is easy to make a tree happy idiot that slick trees a lot if overdone.

If after repeated opportunity a dog has not shown interest on its own I think it is a poor candidate to make a good tree dog. Not very fancy for this forum which is often heavy on training advice but I am heavily in the NA and exposure camp.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Squirrel hunting

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 am

First, I start in their first season... I start when squirrels are cutting hickory nuts, and the dog seems to learn canopy awareness and anticipate the shot/drop. It's like an extra pair of eyes.

This also is usually their first retrieves and exposure to fur.

When the leaves have fallen just before the second split, still hunting is good practice for a blind, some marking, and better yet searches. If you pop a couple squirrels just before dark, then let the pup loose they learn to use their nose to find and retrieve. I usually sit back-to-back with my pup, and I can tell from her movement if there is something worth shooting behind me.

I'm not into treeing... I don't encourage barking of any type. My pup is loud on sight... I know when a deer is jumped... that is good enough for me.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems