Why did you join a European / German club ?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Why did you join a European / German club ?

Postby woodboro » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:46 am

A friend of mine wants to join a club.
I need to encourage him.
So I need ideas why you joined your club.
Appreciate your thoughts (in advance)
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Why did you join a European / German club ?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

Because I showed up late, didn't know anyone or even if I was in the right place, and was welcomed like a friend. I've made more friends and learned more the past two years than I have since vet school.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Main reason: My dad got a pup just before the end of war in Germany. He was scavenging on a farm for eggs and found a bitch with two pups, and asked the farmer for a pup. For a couple packs of cigs' the farmer gave him the pick, because he couldn't afford to feed both and needed one to work the farm... Dad stayed another tour after the war and brought it back. After mustering out, he got into OB and stayed in it for a while amassing trophies for OB, herding, and eventually his dog was used as the prototype for the MD state police.

That pup was for all intents and purposes a cull.

I had a PoS setter that never really hunted for anyone but himself and eventually found the VDD in Gun Dog mag. Beyond the 'hype' of a DD, I figured from my dad's dog that Germans bred functional performance dogs.

I joined VDD, because I bought into the system.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:39 pm

I have always had GWPs and still do. I am a member of NAVHDA and VDD. I joined the VDD to receive the publication, and to attend training days and tests to met and enjoy like minded folks, and get opportunities to observe dogs. Seeing other dogs and trainers is always a great way to learn, in particular learn what breeders are producing the kind of puppies I like to work with and hunt behind. I have been able to serve as a beater at VJPs and a gunner in NAVHDA tests which give me a front seat to the dogs and the judging. And I have been able to watch breeds of dogs I will never own but still appreciate. Very educational and enjoyable.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:38 am

139 read views and 3 posts ](*,)
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ANick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:30 am

I have read this one a 'few' times myself and each time I've started to think of the 'why', I find my forehead furrowing, so I've been thinking it over a bit.

For me, the question is odd. Not in the sense of 'it's a bad question'... Let me get a pot of coffee on and I'll see if I can explain my view on it. Maybe the 'oddness' will become clear.

BRB

Okay, I can't really do this without backstory.
Short-ish version. I wasn't really impressed by what I was seeing when I started poking around looking for another dog, well after the old GSP I'd had as a kid had departed. I was having a problem with getting another shorthair after that fella, I'd hunted with some friend's but kept seeing a 'ghost' in the field. So I had some real doubts, then, that I could really do justice to the new pup comparing it to the old one, as well, there was an uncomfortable feeling that I was somehow betraying the 'old' fella. There's a huge element of 'The Road to Tinkhamtown', lurking within.

That, and I was seriously not at all impressed with what I was seeing in the press (pre-internet) as German Shorthairs. I know I wasn't looking in the right places, there had to be some good ones out there... but lordy were there some sorry excuses running around. But!! Wait!! They were AKC registered!!!! It seemed every breed that won a dog show was doomed to suffer the fate of puppy mills. AKC lost a lot of points with me, honestly, they've yet to redeem themselves in my view... and I don't know that they can.

Truthfully, the problem that I still see with AKC is that at heart it is just a registry. The business of registering dogs is its whole reason for being. The failure with that model is that the only criteria for breeding registered dogs had no requirement for any standards to be met ... other than that piece of paper. No adherence to breed standards really, and no performance criteria.

Eventually I got pointed in the direction of a breed I'd never heard of, German Longhairs. The goals of the club were to raise dogs German style, which, to my eye, had a lot going for it. The club had the breed standard from the parent club and, to breed, the dogs had to make it through performance testing. The latter part would become a problem back then. At the time, the only testing venue for versatiles was NAVHDA, which *almost* came up to snuff for the German testing (which is pretty much the model NAVHDA modeled on anyway). Numbers were not enough to really have enough mass to draw the JGV testing across the Atlantic. The rope just wasn't quite long enough to pull the ends together and tie a knot. Almost.

The next chapter, after JGV testing made it to the US, would not have happened if not for the Drahthaars. The popularity of the fuzzy faced Germans was, and is, pretty incredible. I've heard it said that there are more of the VDD in the US than in Germany. I don't know if that's actually true, it could well be!! That population though definitely got critical mass to get real German testing on the continent, so finally, things could click.

Today, we have the elements. Breed clubs in the US operating as equal members with the German State breed clubs under one breed registry. The standards and registration are controlled by the breed club and the registry maintained by the International FCI. The performance testing is done under the JGV, which is strictly a test organization. Judges are trainers, handlers and breeders themselves, drawn or recruited from various breed clubs. Judges get expenses covered, barely, so there's no great fortune to be made.

So, the Breed Club - sets the standard for physical traits of the breed. Sets physiological testing requirements and procedures, hips, any DNA or blood tests, etc.
JGHV operates the testing function for versatile dogs with feedback / approvals from the breed club. (Note the difference between tests for the Khurzhaar and the VJP, HZP and VGP)
And... the FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale) provides the over-arching organization.
** Note, that's a pretty quick and dirty over-simplification, but will do for purposes herein. IMO anyway. :)

Joining my breed club, which is cheap, struck me as a no-brainer. I'm also a member in the JGV-Rocky Mountain, which is more 'West', pretty much my area of the world and NAVHDA for its general versatile support . I'll probably add memberships to another breed club or two, one of which will be VDD as well JGV-USA. Why? For the cost of a couple bags of dog food, I get to put a little something into those organizations. There's also access to their resources and news. I find a value in that.

Somewhere in here... I have to mention the impact of the Internet. I don't think that the story can be well told without the communication the, oft overlooked, World Wide Web has afforded us. I really don't think the efforts put in 'back when' would have born near the fruit that has yielded in the last couple of decades. The globe shrinks, documents translate with a click and you can see the photos and video of the litter your pup is coming from the day after they are whelped.

That's allowed some very handy and welcome connections. The JGV-RM hosts monthly training sessions from late winter through summer. We have a group that makes pretty excellent use of Facebook. Most of the dogs are DD, which shouldn't be a surprise, but I don't think I could ask for a better welcome for the pup and myself. It's all about dogs and training, good food, incredible stories, support when it is needed and some really big smiles when 'those moments' when things click happen. Experience being shared.

*That* is what I'll buy in for. Some of my own rationale is paying forward. Most of the DL population is spread out with some concentration in the upper mid-west. So making it to a 'breed training day' is pretty unlikely for me. But I know there are DDs and ML that make some of those training days too. It works out in the end, if you are keeping score that way.

Now, someone is going to ask, well, why not one of the other versatile clubs?! Well..... I just don't get them.

I see mainly two camps.
- Those that say they breed to FCI standards for the breed, that either cannot or will not test per the ancestral standard, which either limits their gene pool or they have to keep going back to the ancestor lines.
- Those that insist *their* dogs are wonderful and don't need testing and/or *our* standards are better.

Over time, or over distance the result of the European approach is hard to fault. It is certainly hard to match thus far.

I'm buying into the system. I've bought into my breed. I've bought into the testing results (my pup) and the testing organization ... and coming up Herself gets to test too. The 'support' work of other breed owners/breeders and the JGV, I cannot thank enough for their welcome, their shared experience, time or hospitality.

So, yes, the question is odd to me. Even after the question of breed is answered, there are many that also contribute worthy of acknowledging and supporting. I will add more dogs to my pack over the years I hopefully have ahead. Supporting those associations is an investment to those future dogs, for myself or others.

Why on earth would I not?

Good days afield

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Dat dar is a book , not a post :D

Just a fine fine post in deed.
I feel as if that came from the heart and soul.

Thank you for posting , and hope young , novice handlers interested in the Euro/German clubs take the step.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems