Why do you test your dog ?????

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Why do you test your dog ?????

Postby boarhunter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 am

Would you say that the dogs used for big game and predators are not bred with so high of an emphasis on pointing as we do here in the US? Whereas, those bred in regions with more smaller game are...

There is a very small minority of some breeders (in East Germany) trying to develop versatile dogs into that direction. However, the overwhelming majority is convinced that "full versatility" is most important, including myself. Remember: In athletic sports the decathlon is considered the coronation of all disciplines, and decathletes are rightly said to be the kings ....

Cheers,
Baudus
boarhunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Why do you test your dog ?????

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 am

boarhunter wrote:
Would you say that the dogs used for big game and predators are not bred with so high of an emphasis on pointing as we do here in the US? Whereas, those bred in regions with more smaller game are...

There is a very small minority of some breeders (in East Germany) trying to develop versatile dogs into that direction. However, the overwhelming majority is convinced that "full versatility" is most important, including myself. Remember: In athletic sports the decathlon is considered the coronation of all disciplines, and decathletes are rightly said to be the kings ....

Cheers,
Baudus

Yes, I've heard about "specialization" in some regions.

And, I can see in the websites that some primarily hunt big game whilst a couple in Germany and other countries seem to shoot more waterfowl and upland game.

My personal take is that breeding for "versatility" is like walking on a razor blade to get perfection. I've had ones tending to one extreme, and I like my current one because she's struck the balance. But, the closer you maintain balance, the more flexible the breed is in the end.

Thanks,

Bob
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to German and European Testing Systems