How warm is too warm for training in water?

DKV and VDD, etc

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How warm is too warm for training in water?

Postby bwana_don » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Is there any practical advice on when the water is too warm for a dog to do a duck search or something similar?

The ponds are already 80+ degrees and only going to get warmer. As a Master's swimmer I know when I work out in a pool and the water is over 83 degrees or warmer it gets pretty tough, if it hits 86 it is not even worth trying to put in a real work out.

My guess right now is sending a dog out to chase a duck in water over 80 degrees could be problematic.

When I used to field trial we would pull are dogs if the temperature added with the humidity reached a certain number, I think it was 120, I will need to find that number the again.

Don
Last edited by bwana_don on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwana_don
Started
Started

Re: How warm is too warm for training in water?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Train early morning or late evening. Choose your search locations carefully, be able to shoot the bird when flushed instead of letting the dog chase. The search is what's important, as soon as the bird is found, shoot it and go home.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:07 am

I don't know if you live anywhere near a hydro-electric dam, but I do and it can be used to your advantage for summertime training. The water coming out from under the dam here is about 50 degrees year round. No matter whether the air temp is -5F or 105F, that water is still 50F.

Now eventually the water warms or cools (depending on the season) as it travels farther from the dam. But for the first 2-3 miles downstream of the dam, you get a more or less consistent water temp year round. As long as I stay within a few miles downstream of the dam, I've found that dogs can do water retrieves for extended periods of time in 100F+ air temps.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:25 pm

If our water got that warm I would be training in glacier fed stream. Not a problem I can help you with. Sorry.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:25 am

Never have given it much thought but I probably should have. I have have trained in July and August in the middle of the day and have not seen a dog have issues with it. We save the morning for field work. The only concern here is gators
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:29 am

I know of someone in ND years ago , that had run a dog thru VJP test , and really thought he had an outstanding dog for testing and hunting.
He proceeded to train , and in those hot summer months put the dog in a pond to swim and cool down.
Next day the dog was dead.

Bacteria in the pond , was the nature that once ingested would kill.

when I look at ponds, I always think of that , Not if a pond is tooo hot.
Maybe your ponds are tooo small ??
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 pm

This is a new one for me. We sometimes have to break ice. Anyway when the weather gets hot (not as hot as you people see) I put the dog in the water every chance I get and let her cool down adiabatic ally. I guess it would depend to some extent on the humidity, here is is usually very low.

It must cool down at night so I'd go with training in the early morning, The best time of the day anyway.

My contribution to this post has to do with the poisoning of the dog from pond water, it could have been blue green algae, a toxic and lethal natural occurrence in warm stagnant water. We now see it here as the planet warms up. Stay away from any pond with green scum!
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to German and European Testing Systems